16- Relationships are twisted things

Thoughts...

Emma's P.O.V

He walked into my room, letting his strong Texan accent free.

"I heard some explosions yesterday. Are you ok?" I slouched down, relieve it was only Nash.

"Yes Nash, me and Xan were working on a project." I stared at him as he calculated his response.

"You and Xan..." He started, but I stopped him with a glare.

"Are friends. I won't let the Hawthornes deal with my mess, they already have a mess of their own." I paused, "What of you and Libs?" He laughed. He actually laughed.

Then he saw my expression, "You misunderstand. Your sister is stubborn as always, I couldn't swoo her if I tried." He gave me that suggestive glance, silently asking a question.

"Libs loves baking, and she's gothy, so she likes gothy clothes." I sighed, picking myself up off the bed. "Now, since I'm extremely tired, I think I'll be walking to school. Hopefully it'll wake me up." I set out for school, leaving Nash to find Libby.

Xan didn't show up at school today. Honestly, it's not unexpected. He probably wanted to test out our project. And no Jamie either, although he's typically a no show. I just need to find an abandoned classroom that Thea won't find me in. How hard can that be?

Apparently, really hard.

The classroom I had entered looked like it hadn't been used in years, and was filled with junk. Thea somehow managed to find me, and continued her horrid torment.

"You're an idiot for touching Emily. Trying to drive the Hawthornes away from Emily, not a smart idea." Thea walked away, leaving me to assess my wounds. I decided to leave school early, as I didn't have much for the rest of the day.

I returned home to find Libby on her way to the kitchen. When she saw me, she paused, "Did you talk to Nash?" I looked at the floor guiltily, and she sighed. She continued on her way, and I trotted off to my room. I was in the middle of wrapping my wounds when I had an intruder.

"Em! Em?" Nash was confused,seeing me wrapped in white bandages. I looked at him, implying for him to continue. "Libby is mad at me now, what should I do? And what happened to you? You look like death." 

I ignored his second question, "Just be around her. Care for her, she'll eventually crack." I continued wrapping my wounds, not caring that he was watching. He left soon after, realizing I wouldn't answer his questions. 

After I finished, I went looking for a dip in the pool. Thankfully, Grayson wasn't there. My bandages were water resistant, so I wasn't to worried about them falling off. I swam my laps, up and down and back again. I didn't realize how long I'd been in the water, and I soon started shaking. I didn't want to leave, although I should have.

He walked in.

I paused after finishing my lap, addressing him, "Grayson." A million things were said in that one word.

"Look Clair, I can leave if you'd like. I know I'm not your favorite person-" I cut him off.

"You can stay, I could use a partner." The corners of his lips tilted slightly upwards, shocking me. He stripped himself off his shirt, and slid in the pool. I swam towards him, and we began our laps.

After a while...

Grayson and I were both panting, although I was also shaking. "Achoo!" I sneezed, shaking even more.

Grayson eyed me suspiciously, "I think we should get out. We've been here for about an hour, I don't want you to catch a cold." He didn't seem to realize that I've been here for almost three hours.

"Sure" I agreed, and he pulled himself out of the pool. That's when I realized that if I left, Grayson would see my bandages. And then, interrogate me about them. So, I sat in the water for a few minutes as he dried himself off.

"Come on, are you getting out?" He said, his back turned toward me.

"Yeah, in a minute." He plopped down in a chair, signifying he'd wait for me. I swam a couple more laps, trying to get him to leave.

"Clair, I really think you should get out. There is ripples in the water from all the shaking you're doing. Do you have a cold?" He asked, getting up from his seat.

"I'm fine" I replied, not looking him in the eye. He waited for me to get out, and walked over toward me. Suddenly, he jumped in the pool and held me in his arms.

"Come on Clair, you need to get-" He had climbed out of the pool, only to see the bandages littered across my body. He took a couple steps back, and I reached for a towel. 

"What the hell happened to you?" He was quiet, and grabbed my wrist, stopping me from putting on my towel.