Chapter One

It's been a long ten weeks since middle school ended for a certain group of friends: two Mexicans, a biracial girl, a black boy, and a white girl. Monse Finnie went off to a writing vamp for the summer. Oscar Diaz, aka Spooky, aka the big honcho in Los Santos (a gang, color is black), got out of prison after six weeks. Cesar Diaz, Oscar's little bothered, laid claim on Monse when Spooky got out and caused a drift in the crew. Ruby Martinez and Jamal Turner are casting Cesar out like he's a plague or something. Lyndon Paxton spent her summer with her dads, Jamal, Ruby, and she'd text Cesar off and on.

Lyn is sitting on the floor in her oversized I ❤️ LA she stole from one of her dads and some leggings and some J's, her back against the wall, as Jamal and Ruby jump on a bed in Mario Martinez's old room. Mario is Ruby's big brother and Lyndon has always had a silly, huge crush on Mario but she knows he'd never, ever, ever notice her because one, she's Ruby's age, and two, she assumes because she's white. Mario is leaving for college and Ruby is looking forward to having his own room.

When Monse arrives, Lyndon hugs her and steps outside. She sees Mario across the street yelling at Angelica's house. Angelica is a hang around for the Santos and she is Mario's ex-girlfriend. Mario walks back to the house and sits in the chair by Lyn, a table separating them.

"You leaving soon?" Lyn asks.

"Yeah," Mario replies. "Does my brother know you're not shunning Cesar like he and Jamal are?"

"Yes, he knows," Lyn replies.

"Hey, we're walking to orientation," Ruby says as he, Jamal, and Monse come out. "You coming, Blanca?"

"Coming," Lyn replies. "Don't be a stranger, Mario."

"Never," Mario replies to the teen and she leaves with her friends.
✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️✖️

"What happened with Cesar?" Monse demands and the boys don't reply. "This silent treatment will only last so long. I will break you. Come on. There's no way Cesar did anything on purpose to destroy our crew. He's the glue of our crew."

"That was then, and this is now," Jamal says as he walks between Monse and Lyndon, Ruby us in Lyn's other side.

"Yeah, Cesar ain't shit," Ruby adds.

Monse notes Lyndon's silence and makes a mental note to go to her house later to ask her. She adores Lyndon because she's a white girl who grew up with gay black dads and she is frequent in Spanish. She's the only white person in their crew, too.

The quartet rounds a corner as they continue walking.

"Shit, Prophets!" Ruby gasps when the see three Prophets (another gang, their color is green) painting some graffiti on a green dumpster. "Be cool."

"Ditch your colors," Monse says.

Ruby looks at Lyn's boobs when she removes her t-shirt and reveals a red tank top that is slightly revealing. She stuffs her black oversized t-shirt into the Jamal's backpack and she takes the hoodie she stole from Mario's suitcase before leaving the Martinez house moments ago and puts it on. On account of her boob size, she can't fit into the guys' hoodies, so she stole Mario's.

"Did I just jack up my do?" Ruby asks.

"Yeah," Lyndon replies.

They stop and Ruby pulls out his phone, he checks his hair and he sees Jasmin. Lyn tells the others to run, she'll keep Jasmin back because she's actually friends with the crazy girl.

"Jazzy, heyyyy!' Lyn cheers and Jasmin hugs her tightly.

"Wanna come hang with me?" Jasmin asks.

Lyn agrees and they go to Jasmin's house across the street from Ruby's and two houses down from Angelica's,