EPILOUGE | TOP THREE FOR ME

CHAPTER ELEVENTOP THREE FOR ME

CHAPTER ELEVEN
TOP THREE FOR ME

two months later

"YOU PUT YOUR MOM AS A REFERENCE?" Robin snarked, scanning over the last few aspects of Steve's one-page resumé.

"Did he add babysitter, on there? Mrs. Henderson said she'd be a reference for that," Ellie leaned up from the backseat, eyes scanning the page behind Robin's.

"Okay, first of all my mom is like, super well respected, and second? Yes, I added Mrs. Henderson," Steve mumbled the last part, running a hand through his hair as the four teens walked into Family Video, bells ringing as they stepped inside.

"Wait, can we not put our moms as references?" Quinn whispered from beside Ellie, and Ellie face-palmed, trying to hide her embarrassment behind Steve's back.

"Oh, if it isn't you guys." Keith, the store manager and former arcade employee, groaned.

"Hi, Keith," Ellie smiled. Keith was her own age and they graduated together, with Quinn and Dot. They'd never really been friends, and he honestly freaked the girls out, but if she had to play nice to get her boyfriend a job, so be it.

"To be fair, Keith, we didn't get fired, you know? The mall burned down and killed, like, a bunch of people." Robin matter-of-factly winked at Steve, and Ellie's heart burst at how nonchalantly she said it, hand finding its way to Steve's own from behind him. She blinked away the tears and put on her brave face, for her love, if nothing else.

"Thanks for sharing. Didn't know," Keith's eyes flickered between the kids, "name your top three favorite movies, go."

Quinn didn't hesitate for even a second, "The Terminator, Commando, Conan the Barbarian, -mmm, no, - Conan the Destroyer."

Eyes went straight to the girl as she twirled her hair and popped her bubblegum, "what? Arnold Schwarzenegger is fun to watch."

Robin was next as she shook her head and then snapped her fingers, "uh, The Apartment, Hidden Fortress, Children of Paradise."

Steve smiled sheepishly, "favorite movies?"

"Did I stutter?"

"Uh, Animal House, for sure..." Ellie scoffed, squeezing her grip on the can of Pepsi she had in her hand. Steve looked around the store with a lack of subtlety, and Keith yelled at him, causing Ellie to bite her lip in a bad attempt at holding back a laugh.