CHAPTER EIGHT | BATTLE OF STARCOURT, PART I

TW: DRUGS, GORE, NAUSEA/SICKNESS, VIOLENCE, TRAUMA, CAR CRASH

CHAPTER EIGHT
THE BATTLE OF STARCOURT
PART I

"TODDFATHER?" Ellie looked at the bright yellow hoopty-car, in total disbelief, "Does the Hawkins police really pay that well?" the girl turned to Robin as they followed Steve through the parking lot, drooling over the vehicle.

"Oh, screw Todd, Steve's her daddy now!" Ellie tried to ignore the flip-flops her stomach did after hearing that from Steve's mouth.

"Did you just refer to yourself in the third person?"
"Did he just call himself daddy?"

"We're going to Weather-top," Dustin said, hopping in the backseat of the convertible.

"Weather-what?" Ellie and Steve chirped up in unison, and the younger boy groaned and hurried Steve along. The Harrington boy tore through the parking lot, back of the car whirring as they dragged across the pavement, weight shifting as Erica and Ellie rammed into Dustin, squeezing the boy to the side of the car. It was a situation she'd found all too similar to riding the Scramblin' ride at the county fair every year - taking turns as she smushed Steve and Robbie to one side or the other of the ride.

"Sorry, Toddfather!"

*

"Oooh, oooh, ooh! Turn this up! This is my favorite song!" Ellie yelled from the back, prompting Robin to turn the music up. Everyone in the car groaned dreadfully, besides Ellie, who was grinning ear to ear.

"Sun is shinin' in the sky! There ain't a cloud in sight..." Ellie took turns serenading Dustin and her sister in the back, and Steve couldn't keep his eyes on the road for the life of him watching Ellie smile like that.

"Eyes on the road, Toddfather." Robin raised her eyebrows at Steve, pointing to the dim-lit road ahead of them. Ellie was too busy singing to herself, still a little loopy from the truth-drugs the Russians gave her, that she didn't notice the debate about Dustin's 'girlfriend'. With all the talk about Dustin in a relationship, Ellie almost wished she'd joined Robin and Steve's yak-fest.

"Turn left here."

"There's no road here, Henderson."

"TURN LEFT!"

Mr. Blue Sky, please tell us why, you had to hide away for so long? So long?

Where did we go wrong?

"Ohhhh I am gonna be sick!" Ellie held onto her stomach as she gagged, earning a slap on the mouth from Robin.

"Not in Toddfather!" Steve whined, bouncing up and down as he drove over the grassy hills.