CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Grace

"Wake up, Noah, you idiot. We can't be late on such an important day." I tried to wake my brother up for the eleventh time this morning, but he's far too lazy to wake up.

"Noah, I'm not joking; you can't miss Amelia's wedding." I paused for a moment before remembering my secret weapon.

I took a deep breath, smirked, and added, "Seriously, how can you be this irresponsible? By attending Amelia's wedding, you will be thanking her for feeding you, changing your diapers, and even..." I began counting with my fingers, but he covered my mouth with his palm.

He was now wide awake, but his cheeks had turned red from embarrassment. "Don't you dare tell anyone about this," he warned. I nodded as he spoke.

"Don't worry, it's not like I'm going to tell anyone that you promised to marry her when you were a kid," I said once he let go of my mouth. As a response, he stood up abruptly and walked to the bathroom, slamming the door shut. His reaction made me laugh.

We eventually arrived after a long drive. I had to arrive early since I was one of the bridesmaids, along with her sisters and Asher's sister Sofia.

I dressed up, applied makeup, and left the room. I haven't seen her yet since she's still getting dressed.

I slowly walked toward her room, but I ran into Cassian on the way. "Hey, Cassian!" I gave him a wave. He seemed surprised. He was probably on his way to her room to talk with her. He returned my greeting after a long silence.

I approached him and asked where he was going, and he lied, saying he was heading to the restroom. A typical lie, I must say.

"Please don't tell me you cried all night before the wedding." I meant it as a joke, but the look in his eyes and the way he kept quiet told me otherwise. "Bro, you can't be serious." Yes, I just called a famous doctor "bro".

"I can assure you that she was crazy in love with you too, but if you had returned sooner, she would have chosen you." I remarked.

I don't feel bad for him because it was her choice, plus her mom pressured her to marry him, which is definitely wrong. "You know, right person, wrong time?" I added.

"You're right. I suppose I should be happy for her; she was like a sister to me." He smiled.

"Exactly, that's what you should be doing." I gave him a thumbs up.

"How is your training going?" He asked. I always forget that we work at the same hospital.

"Good, I guess?" I forced a smile. I don't even know how to describe my life anymore.

"Don't give up; you will become a great doctor." He gave me a thumbs up, which made me laugh.

We fell into a deep silence, which gave me time to admire how handsome he looks in that suit. I also noticed the way he was staring at me, so I had to ask him. "Look, I'm not trying to make fun of you or anything, but I have a question for you." After sighing deeply, I asked, "Do you have a date for this wedding?" He shook his hand and replied no.

"Will you be my date then?" I asked, nervously. I really don't want to stay alone, especially when Noah has a date. I really want to dance with someone at my best friend's wedding.