A part of me had always been competitive and that part wanted to prove something tonight. I wanted everyone to see me for who I really was and drop the stereotyping are prejudices against ‘my type’. There was more to these people than custom would have dictated and there was more to me than they thought. And by being here tonight I wanted them to realize that I wasn’t scared of confronting them or being out of my comfort zone.

I could feel eyes on me. People gave me glares and confused looks. I had no idea so many people knew who I even was. Sensing my nervousness as we walked through a little hut located on the beach, Maria whispered to me. “Ignore them, Soon enough there’ll be a fight and that’ll be the next best gossip.” She said with a smile. Clearly she thought this was reassuring. Why the hell would there be fighting?? Perhaps I shouldn’t have gotten into those big girl panties tonight. I mean surely there must have been other ways to prove myself. I sighed in surrender. Tonight was going to be eventful.

Maria and I sat on a bench in the sand a few meters away from the dance floor. At first it was just the two of us talking about menial things just so we didn’t look like too total losers squatting a party in an attempt to get a life. Thankfully after a while we were joined by Marco and then Camela. I was actually having fun, Camela and Marco kept us entertained and we spoke for most of the night. I still received a few glares from here and there but the evening wasn’t half bad. The music was great and everyone was having fun. As promised by Maria, a fight did indeed occur. Sitting there chatting away we heard some commotion near the bar. Two guys seemed to be having some sort of challenge on who was the better man, you know the sort. When dudes try to prove they have a higher count of testosterone than the other? Yeah, that sort of thing.

It got nastier than I thought though, both guys were on the floor bashing each other like there was no tomorrow and no one seemed to intervene.

I nudged Marco quickly. “Shouldn’t someone intervene?” I asked alert now because one of the guys was on the verge of collapse.

Marco nodded his head. “Its gang stuff.”

“well, you’re a in the gang. Do something.” I said urging him because the guy really didn’t look well.

“I can’t. Only the leader has the right to step up.” He said shrugging it off like it was nothing.

I frantically looked around to see if I could find Antonio. Eventually my eyes caught him sitting on a bench further away from the crowd with a chick on his lap. Wtf? Two guys were nearing death and he just sat there being fondled by a slut? Not if I could help it.

I shot up from my seat and stalked right up to him and hopefully ruined his ‘private session’ with his hooker. “are you just going to sit there?” I demanded raging at his untroubled calm.

He looked away from the girl he was kissing at this point and gave me a glare with somehow a slight spec of amusement which made me want to bash his face in with my Gautier shoes.

“Why are you here?” He asked with a sigh.

“that’s not your concern. What is your concern though, are those two guys killing each other. Why don’t you get off your ass and do something about this?” I shrieked. “I’m sure the slut will be back when you’re done. Hell, get another one if she isn’t.” the girl pounced up but Antonio yanked her back with one pull on her upper arm. “Bamos” he said to her indifferently and she dispatched without further retribution but not before stabbing me, machetting my limbs and peeling my skin off my body with her eyes several times.

 Antonio stood up, unfortunately towering over me. “Don’t you dare tell me what to do. I suggest you go back to my sister and stay out of matters you have no business in.” He said with pure threat.