some commotion in the parking lot

Needless to say I was in an awkward situation when it came to sleeping over at Maria’s house. Antonio was absolutely indifferent to my presence whenever I was around, which was a relief because I wouldn’t want to have to confront him about that evening which still made me feel jittery every time I thought about it.

I had spent my whole life coping with cold and detached people and there was no way this jerk could make me falter in my composure. He wanted to stereotype me into a rich bitch… then sure, I could be just that.

I had nothing to prove to him and I was certainly not going to jeopardize my relationship with Maria, because he was an arrogant git. Eventually, with a few weeks things had settled down and I grew apathetic too.

Marco and Maria were adorable, they were still on the down low because well, Antonio could im sure of,  kill Marco for being with his sister but he was a brave one and kept seeing Mari. I caught myself staring at them sometimes when they had their moments. They’d look at each other as if in their own little trance where nothing seemed to be as important as what they felt for one another. You couldn’t mistaken their honesty and pure awe when they looked at each other.

Witnessing such commitment usually sent me in a brooding hour or on some serious moral decline, but none of that was due to envy or jealousy, I just wished that I would someday have the ability to feel such passion because to be honest no one had ever really cared for me that much, not even my father. His attention I perceived was merely a sign of obligation as a father to provided for me. Which he did absolutely well when it came to the material things, but beyond that to tackle any sort of emotional bond he preferred to take flight.

It was a Tuesday afternoon and I had just finished my salsa classes and was heading out to my car parked a few blocks away in a parking lot. It was getting late so I was hurrying, clenching my jacket as the cool sea breeze swirled into the alleys which were slowly darkening as the lasts touches of the golden summer rays were chased out by the night.

Ever noticed that whenever a chick says she’s in an alley, you know things are going to go down?

 Well this omen proved true.

As I gazed up to see the parking lot I breathed a sigh of relief. So perhaps tonight I wasn’t gonna get mobbed or killed by a vamp!! Yay.

I should of waited to be in the confinements of my car before gloating on my apparent survival success because all of sudden I heard a bunch of sneers and laughs behind me…. Crap.

Without turning back I made a run for it to get to my car but before I managed to open the door someone hit it keeping it closed.. I turned around quickly and nearly passed out with dread.

“where you going Ali…” Marta, one of the girls that hung out in Maria’s neighborhood sneered at me. “heading back to your castle little princess?” it should be noted that I wasn’t very popular amongst Maria’s entourage. Like Antonio and every other person around this place, saw me as the rich girl and this girl and her friends in particular had a passionate abhorrence for me which was beyond my understanding.

“listen, I really need to be getting home.” I said fiddling with my keys not meeting her eyes.

The rest of the girls fell silent. “well, I say it can wait.” She said daring me to counter that.

“I don’t know what I’ve done to you people but you’ve got to stop harassing me like that.” I said gathering some bravado in voice which was a far contrast to my actual feelings.