『𝕆𝕊𝔸ℕ𝔸 ℕ𝔸𝕁𝕀𝕄𝕀 𝕀𝕊 𝔸ℕ 𝕌𝕄𝔹ℝ𝔼𝕃𝕃𝔸 𝕋ℍ𝕀𝔼𝔽!』

Depuis le début

Kagami had noticed that Osana had stolen Tadano's umbrella before he could even switch out his shoes. With a shake of her head, she pulled out her own umbrella and approached Komi. "Osana-san stole Tadano-kun's umbrella. I have to go to work, but could you give this to him when he comes down? If you don't mind waiting, that is. Actually, I'll just put it by his locker and leave a note. Sorry for wasting your time, Komi-san." Kagami wrote quickly, leaving Komi dazed in a whirlwind of disorientation.

Komi watched as Kagami leaned her umbrella against the lockers by Tadano's, and started writing out a short note. She folded it once and slid it through the slats before turning on her heel and stepping out into the cold rain. Her uniform was at work, she justified. A little rain wouldn't hurt her.

Clearly, she was wrong in every way imaginable

Clearly, she was wrong in every way imaginable. She had made it to work, but not before slipping on a patch of wet concrete and twisting her ankle just enough that it started to swell slightly. She got through the work day at the animal shelter just fine, sticking to going through adoption paperwork instead of helping with feeding, watering, and cleaning animals.

But what really proved her wrong, was the way she felt as soon as she woke up the next morning. Her head pounded so violently that she could feel her entire body thrumming with every beat of her heart. Her eyesight was foggy and it was hard to see unless she concentrated, which proved difficult as the concentration it took to see properly only caused her head to ache worse.

Her joints felt stiff and she was sore across her entire body, especially her ankle, which had swollen even more since the night before, and now pulsed achingly in time with the pounding of her head. Her skin was burning to the touch, sweating so heavily that her white undershirt was now see through. Despite all this, she still felt freezing cold, whining softly and tugging her blankets closer to her body, bundling herself up in them like a caterpillar in its chrysalis. 

Kagami knew that her mother would be in no state to take care of her while she was sick. She couldn't even take care of herself. She hadn't left her room returning from the hospital after the accident, and had turned into a shell of the person she used to be.

Kagami wanted to blame her, wanted to scream and shout that she was just a kid, a kid who needed her mother when her entire world crumbled around her. But she knew that her mother's world had also crumbled. No mother should outlive her children, but she had, and it was torture. 

She forced herself to focus on her laptop, the little monstrosity scorching her eyes so harshly that she felt like she was staring into the sun. She sent two messages. One to her boss, 'Fuyuko-senpai, I have a cold, I won't be able to make it to work today. I hope this isn't too much of an inconvenience.' And the other to Osana, 'Can U bring me cold medicine? Am very sick. :('

Fuyuko responded promptly with a 'get well soon' and Osana responded with a thumbs up. As soon as she got the responses, she let her laptop drop to the ground next to her bed, and curled deeper into her blankets until sleep graciously allowed her to transcend her sick body and drift aimlessly through the dream world.