Epilogue

Epilogue | Adrian
The sound of the baby's cries hits my ears and tears well in my eyes, my heart pounds heavily in my chest as I stare at Layla, her face is covered in sweat, and she looks exhausted but she smiles, as she always does.

"Are you in pain?" The question slips uncontrollably, it's a stupid thing to ask considering the circumstances, "the pain isn't that noticeable." She whispers, her voice barely audible, fuck, I squeeze her hand tighter, giving as much support as I can.

The nurse comes towards me, holding a baby, our baby, motioning for me to carry it, I suck in a sharp breath and look at Layla, whose face softens, "it's okay." She whispers, it's not, I'll hurt her, she's so tiny it looks like my hands will crush her.

I motion for the nurse to give the baby to Layla, she nods, and it seems like she understands what's going on, Layla smiles so big and tears fall down her cheek, she holds her girl and caresses her back softly before her eyes meet mine, "it's okay Adrian you won't hurt her." She whispers and slowly passes her to me.

She's lighter than I expected, her nose scrunches and her face looks red, I smile, she was right, I didn't hurt her, and would never do, "your dad will protect you, Amelia." She says and I smile as tears fall down my cheeks, "always will."

Weeks later | Layla
I don't think there's a more beautiful sight than the one I'm witnessing right now, Adrian brushes his nose against Amelia's cheeks and she laughs, kicking her small little feet as her face breaks into a huge smile, her little dark black hair shining in the sun, she got that from Adrian,

But she got my eyes, big brown ones staring right back at me as I tickle her belly, it's been eight weeks since I gave birth to her, but they went in a second, it feels like I just got her yesterday, Adrian's hand brushes mine and I raise my eyes, his expression seems...peaceful.

"Are you happy?" I ask thoughtfully, his face breaking into a smile, "more than I've ever been, I've got my girls with me, what else would I want?" He whispers and I smile, my heart dancing in my chest, he brushes a strand of my hair as he always does, tilting his head, "how have you been feeling?" He asks, his brows furrowing.

I lick my lips, "better, I think I'm doing great." I say because it's true, as much as I've been waiting for the baby all nine months, I didn't prepare for how hard it'd be for me to look at my body anymore, it was something I ignored because of how happy I was.

The first two weeks were the worst, but Adrian was there, in every moment, he was my anchor like he always has been, "you're doing more than great darling." He says softly caressing the back of my hand, as he kisses my knuckles.

I suck in a breath when I hear a loud thud from the hallway, my eyes meet Adrian's and he motions for me to stay here, my eyes widen "what! No." I whisper-yell, his jaw ticks but his eyes soften, "please can you drop the stubbornness off?" He asks raising a brow, I tighten my lips but don't protest.

He walks away towards the sound and Amelia's erratic crying begins, I caress her and swing her a little trying to calm her down, but it's useless, she always cries when he's not here, at least for an hour before she finally comes to her senses and accepts that he will be gone for a while.

"I'm going to kill you one day I promise." Adrian's voice pulls me away from my thoughts and my brows furrow at the amusement in his tone, moments later Ezekiel appears beside him and a smile spreads on my face right as Amelia finally calms down when her father comes in view.

"Do you have to give us a heart attack in order to announce your presence?" I ask raising a brow, he smiles playfully, "of course, princess" he takes his time saying princess only to annoy Adrian, which he does successfully, because when we turn to look at him, sure enough, he looks like he'd love to tear Ezekiel in shreds.