06.

Chapter six | Adrian
I startle awake, as my head hits the headboard, a layer of sweat dampens my forehead, and my breath heaves, I sigh and grab the water from the drawer, as I swallow down a couple of my normal meds, another nightmare, again.

Goddamn it, I run a hand through my hair and rub my face as I stand up, walking towards the bathroom, I open the water tap, letting the water drip as hundred thoughts roam through my mind, I splash some water on my face, the cold water hitting my skin, waking me the fuck up.

Then I stare at my reflection in the mirror for a beat, noticing how tired I fucking look with the dark circles under my eyes, I've always had sharper looks than my little bro, or as dear mother might say I had the "darker looks" like my father, one of the main reasons she hated me because I looked exactly like him, a very valid reason for a mother to hate her son right?

But Damien, mommy's sweetheart is the brighter golden child, our charming prince, the blonde king with shiny eyes just like his fucking future, my fists clench at the reminder of the fact that my mom is probably downstairs, fuck it, I brush my teeth and get out of the bathroom, shutting it with a thud.

I grab my phone as I drop down on the mattress scrolling through my messages, some from work, some from Damien, but one text catches my eyes, Nash, who's also Layla's brother, I open the text carefully, a sudden burst of laughter forms in my throat when I read the messages,
Nash: no fucking offense.
Nash:but don't blame me if I kill your brother.
I smile as I type in,
Me: oh don't worry, I'll help you.

✿ ✿ ✿

I take the stairs two at a time and jog downstairs, I straighten my hoodie and mess my hair up, "no it's fine honey." Mom's voice hits my ears making my whole body freeze as thousands of memories roam through my mind, well I already knew that she'd be here, but it still feels fucking weird to hear her voice after two years.

I slowly regain my focus and force my legs to move, walking towards the living room I see Damien, mommy's little boy sprawled beside her, as my mother caresses her hand across his back, the moment I step inside, her eyes find mine, they're the lightest shade of blue which Damien inherited, her face expression completely changes as her cheekbones sharpen and the eyes she was adoring my brother with Turn into a glare when they swing in my direction, lovely.

Then slowly, I turn to look at the beautiful woman who's sitting across from them, her eyes meet mine and for a second I forget how to breathe normally, she's wearing a yellow sundress and has her hair down, making her look fucking breathtaking, I swallow the knot in my throat trying to concentrate on the bigger problem here.

"It's about time you remember that you have a mother." Her sharp tone pulls my attention away from Layla as I focus on the woman glaring at me, "sorry." I apologize not sounding a bit apologetic but that's all she's getting out of my mouth, she raises her brows and laughs humorlessly which isn't surprising, "I've been gone for two years, and you didn't even care enough to come get me with your brother, he stayed with me since I came." Well, mommy isn't he so sweet? Keep the fucker with you and away from my face before I disfigure it.

"Sweet boy," I say, amusement clear in my voice as I turn in my brother's direction, I notice Layla thinning her lips as if she's trying to contain a smile, is she smiling because of me? The thought itself makes something lightens inside of me, "well i don't know what I expected Adrian, but I'm very disappointed, boy." I don't miss the way she calls me boy as if that will make me weak or something.

My face stays blank as I say the next words trying to end this fucking conversation because I can't start my day with this shit, "sorry to disappoint, mother." I say and walk away towards the kitchen not waiting for a response but I hear something that sounds like "you're just like your father." Ha, the father who couldn't bear living with this woman, I'm not even surprised, poor guy.

I grab the coffee pot filling my mug with some of it, I  carefully drink it, the caffeine hitting the back of my throat, as I swallow it down, I stay like this for a while staring at nothing, i drop the mug on the counter as I walk away to grab my phone but the sound of footsteps stop me.

"Oh come on! I'm jus-" her words die just as her footsteps come to a halt the moment her eyes clash with mine, I stare back at her, taking in how she looks, her hair is in beautiful waves on her shoulders, her brown eyes shining under the sunlight, my breath hitches and I clench my jaw trying to stop my mind from going to these thoughts, she turns around slowly opening the cabinets as she steps on her toes to get something, her ass perking up as she struggles and my cock throbs in my pants.

When she finally gets whatever she wanted, she turns around, stares at me for a beat, "hey." She says as a smile spreads on her face and my chest clenches, Layla is always smiling, always happy, but none of those smiles appear genuine, not like the one on her face right now, and that does something to me, I don't even know how to explain it.

"Hey." I reply, my voice comes out raspy, I don't even know why, I raise a brow when her smile widens, she notices and grins then I realize that she's happy because she's holding a bag of chocolate in her hands, Maltesers, "do maltesers make you that happy?" I ask cocking my head a little, she nods and smiles before a sad expression takes over her face for a beat, "yes, I love it so much, my dad used to buy me those, we'd stay like—for hours eating them and watching movies." She says smiling sadly like she's remembering the moment, I can't help the feeling spreading around my veins, it's like everything that bothered me a moment ago is all gone, just because of a fucking smile, her smile.

When I don't say anything, she sighs then frowns, "are they yours? I've never seen them here before or with Damien—not that he usually eats sugar." She says and rolls her eyes, "they're not mine." I lie, they were mine but they're hers now, her expression lightens "oh thank god, I thought I was eating your food." She says while opening the bag and throwing the chocolate in her mouth.

She closes her eyes for a beat as if she's enjoying this so much she needs to remember what it tastes like, a feeling of joy pops through my chest when I see a smile spread on her face after she eats about four of them, she's happy while eating, that's huge progress, and if Maltesers will do this then I'm buying them every. Fucking. Day.

"They taste so fucking good." She says as she finishes it, I'm sure they don't taste better than you, when she notices that I'm still staring at her, her lips part just a little and she clears her throat, "is everything okay with your mom?" She asks changing the topic and I raise a brow, "oh everything's perfect, darling." I say and heat creeps on her neck, she doesn't push for more information when she realizes that's what she's getting.

Suddenly a voice interrupts us "Adrian! Please tell me you didn't turn my room into a fucking library?!" Mom strides towards us, her face red with anger,
oh mom that's what I've been waiting for, her dog (Damien) walks in seconds later, I feel like that's an insult to dogs themselves, apologies, "oh, Did I?" I ask calmly, widening my eyes as if I have no idea what she's talking about.

A vote is really appreciated 🫶🫶🫶