Chapter Two

There have been moments in Grace's life where she questioned her siblings choices, this moment was one of them.

By nature Grace disliked conflict, and as such she would never like anyone to put her in a situation that involves conflict, unless it was dire.

So, why Jonathan and Evelyn thought it was a good idea to bring their fifteen year old peace loving sister to a prison, she will never know.

The prison was dirty, hot, and smelled like sweat and like death. There was a dirty gallow that seemed to be painted in a fresh coat of blood, the floor was cemented, but because of the openness of the design, the sand that blew in covered the cement floor.

Grace was appalled by the behavior of the warden, called Gad Hassan, the guards, the inmates and all the other people.

Grace walked behind her siblings and cringed again when she heard someone shouting for her to join them in their prison bed. Grace was horrified and decided to cling to her siblings, so she walked forward, pushed herself between the two older Carnahan siblings and hooked her arms through theirs.

When Grace did this, Jonathan and Evelyn finally realized that in their quest for answers, they did something thoughtless; they brought their fifteen year old sister to a prison, but it was too late to go back, so the huddled closer to her and made sure to have a firm grip on the girl, in hopes of bringing her comfort.

The Warden who was leading them finally took them to a cell where two guards came out holding a disheveled man, he was called Richard O'Connell.

The older Carnahan siblings began to talk to him about Hamunaptra, as Grace stayed a few steps behind - not particularly interested in this adventure, when suddenly he punched Jonathan.

Grace was shocked and immediately knelt down to check on her older brother while her older sister simply stepped over him and continued talking to Richard; or Rick as he liked to be called, causing Grace to shake her head at her sister's dismissal of their older brother.

Jonathan let out another groan and Grace's attention went back to him, "Nate, are you okay?" She asked using the nickname she gave him when she was younger.

Jonathan was so touched that one of his sisters cared about his pain, even though they all knew that this was his fault.

"I'm alright Mouse," he responded as he rubbed her head and began to stand up.

Just as the older Carnahan stood up, commotion picked up in the cell where the man Evelyn was talking to was held.

When Evelyn joined her siblings, she grabbed their hands and followed the warden, frantically pulling her siblings behind her.

"Evie, what's going on?" Grace asked her sister as she stumbled on a stone but did not fall, nor did she stop walking, her sister's hand practically welded onto her wrist.

"They're going to execute him!" Evelyn said in a panic, forgetting that she was talking to her soft-hearted fifteen-year-old sister.

Grace was terrified and horror began to creep up on her in the form of cold sweat and goosebumps. She did not want to witness someone being killed, yet she could say nothing, knowing that staying with her siblings was safer than walking away and getting lost in the prison.

Small tears began to form in the corners of her eyes as she watched what was happening, unable to close her eyes from the shock, and she welcomed the tears, hoping that she would wake up from this adventure turned nightmare, but as she was forced up the stairs to the view stage, forced to watch as Evelyn negotiated for the man's life, forced to watch as the man struggled to hold on to life as he dangled with a noose around his neck, Grace knew she wouldn't wake up, she wasn't dreaming.

Finally, her sister and the warden reached a conclusion and Rick O'Connell was let go, but the damage had already been done, the balancing tears now silently rolled down her cheeks.

⛏⛏⛏

Grace wasn't mad at her siblings, none of them could have expected to encounter an experience with the gallows at the prison at that specific time, plus she knew that Jonathan and Evelyn just got caught up in their excitement of discovering something. Grace was grateful that they had raised her, but she always felt like she was holding them back from being youthful while they were young, so she usually tried not to bother them much.

This time was different, as much as she wanted to, her hands couldn't stop shaking, she was scared. She was grateful that Rick didn't die, the image of his dead body would have been seared into her mind permanently. Though, his health status didn't stop her from being traumatized.

On their way back from the prison, her siblings, finally realizing what they had done had traumatized the young girl, apologized profusely, but all Grace could muster was a small smile that showed her acknowledgement of their apologies and her forgiveness, before she turned her head and zone out.

Her siblings didn't speak anymore, wanting to give her some space, but the guilt rolling off of them felt tangible, and Grace wanted to reassure them that she was going to be okay, but she couldn't get her body to cooperate, so she stayed where she was watching as the world passed them by.

⛏⛏⛏

The older Carnahan siblings, Rick O'Connell and the Warden had already decided that they would go on their adventure to Hamunaptra in four days time, giving themselves time to pack and prepare.

They had to book their transportation, and any accommodation that they would use during their expedition. They would have to make sure that they have enough food that they could eat during their time at the dig site, so they had to make sure that they could find a town that they could access closer to their destination, though they did pack dried foods in their bags. They would have to ensure that they were properly packed and that they had all the tools they needed among other things.

Jonathan and Evelyn had already decided that if she agreed their sister was coming with them, however, they still wanted to hear her opinion and if she wanted to stay then they would organize something.

So, the older Carnahan siblings sat Grace down the next day and told her of their plans, and then began to discuss if she would travel with them or not.

"Grace, Jonathan and I want you to come with us to Hamunaptra, it's just a simple dig and exploration, however, we're not sure what would happen along the trip, so it's okay if you don't want to go." Evelyn said as she stated into the eyes of her baby sister, who was no longer a baby, something that was hard for Evelyn and Jonathan to wrap their minds around.

Grace was not as interested in mythology like her siblings, but having grown up around people who were, Grace developed an understanding of the subject.

Having calmed down from the prison incident, she was able to contemplate their offer with a clear mind, but her thought process was interrupted when Evelyn continued to speak, "But, we really want you there with us when we discover Hamunaptra."

Evelyn said with a soft smile, one that Grace knew so well, one that spoke of the love the Carnahans had for each other, and before Grace knew it she was already nodding her head with a defeated smile, knowing that it was hard to say no to her sister's sweet smile.

Soon, the arms of her elder siblings were wrapped around her in joy and Grace couldn't contain the laughter that came out of her mouth, something her siblings adored.

___ Thank you for reading!___