Chapter One

Fifteen-year-old Grace Carnahan sat in between the shelves of the library in the Cairo Museum of Antiquities, reading a book as her older sister, Evelyn Carnahan, worked.

The shelves were high and the books were slightly old; the Egyptian heat not helping when it comes to maintaining the book quality.

There were fans attached to the roof of the library, to provide some sort of ventilation, as the hot, and slightly dusty wind coming through the window made the room stuffy.

Dressed in a short sleeved white button-up blouse with a long, calf-length, cream skirt, and a pair of brown ankle boots; Grace was comfortable as her clothes were light enough to not let the hot weather bother her too much.

This was a usual occurrence as Evelyn didn't want to leave her younger sister at home, alone, and their older brother was unreliable, as he was never home.

So, Evelyn talked to Dr. Terence Bey, her employer, and they struck a deal, Grace was welcome anytime, as long as she didn't go against the museum rules and behaved accordingly.

Grace was so absorbed in her book that she didn't pay attention to what her sister was doing until it was too late; when she finally became aware of the commotion, there was a shelf about to fall on her.

She stood up, running to reach the end of the shelf, but she could see the disaster moving closer, Grace knew she wouldn't make it, but she still ran.

She was so close to the edge, and just when she thought she was done for, a strong, calloused hand reached out and grabbed hers, firmly pulling her out of the mess, causing the young girl to land in the arms of the arms of her savior as they both fell down from the force he used to pull her.

It took her a moment to acknowledge that she was safe, and another to notice that she was sprawled on top of the person who saved her as they lay on the floor.

Grace panicked and attempted to lift herself off of him, unfortunately, in her haste her arm buckled and her head banged on his chin, causing both of them to groan in pain.

And that was how Evelyn found them, sitting on the floor opposite each other, holding different parts of their head, faces twisted in pain, and her younger sister apologizing profusely, though in her panic, she could only see her sister.

"Grace?!"

Evelyn called out in worry; having remembered that her younger sister had come to work with her, she panicked and was trying to find her through the books that were splayed on the ground.

"Grace!"

Evelyn rushed towards her sister and helped lift her up from the ground.

"Are you alright?" Evelyn asked as she looked over her sister, checking for any injuries, and finding none except for the slightly red bump on her head.

"I'm fine, the young man over there saved me from the falling shelves and I accidentally hit him with my head when I was trying to get up." After Grace explained, they both turned towards the direction the young man was sitting only to find an empty space.

Grace frowned and looked around, hoping to catch the young man; she wanted to thank him, but was unable to do so, as not even his shadow could be seen.