Chapter 10

Ace

"Yes, asshole." Solana volleyed the insult at me right before turning around and walking hand in hand with Eli into the mall.

I combust into flames on the spot. That was the wrong thing to do, I shouldn't have grabbed her like that. Especially not in front of the guys. Fuck! Since when do I lose my control like this?

"Ace? What the fuck?" Hunter replaces Solana in front of me.

"I know!" I snap, my fingers combing through my hair. I shouldn't be snapping at him either, Gods I need to get my shit together. "I know," I repeat more gently this time.

My flames go out and I walk with Hunter behind Dean and Tate, who are themselves behind Solana and Eli.

"Has she always been like this?" The question flies out of my mouth before I can stop it.

Hunter chuckles sadly and shakes his head, his entire body sags like it's been weighed down by painful memories of her. "No," he says. "She was...effervescent. Hot as fire and light as air. But this girl," he shrugs his shoulders, "she looks the same, she smells the same, but now she's like a caged animal...trapped inside her pain and her anger."

The only response I have is to nod, if I allow myself to speak I'll say something I'm not ready to reveal — or worse, I'll push her right back into his arms.

So though it physically hurts me to hear his description of who she was and who she's become, I don't tell him to heal old wounds. This is yet another sign that she will shred my pack apart, because judging by the emotions wafting off of Hunter, he would jump at the chance to be with her again. And because the very idea of my mate choosing him over me makes my skin crawl, I feel like the only solution will be to leave her broken and walk away when all of this is said and done.

"Where to first?" Eli asks.

"Wherever she wants. Lead the way." I gesture for Solana to guide the way and thankfully she does so with minimal scowling. Her fingers are still laced together with Eli's and they stroll hand in hand through the mall like a pair of young lovers.

I wonder if he can feel my eyes on the back of his head since he keeps looking over his shoulder at me. I know she's just trying to get back at me for what happened in the parking lot, but I don't like that she's toying with my pack mate in order to hurt me.

"What kind of dress will I need for tonight?" She asks the group as her eyes roam the store fronts.

"Formal, black tie. We'll be in tuxes." Tate responds to her question.

We pass store after store, following behind her like a flock of geese, but finally something manages to catch her eye because she drops Eli's hand and walks into the store entranced by something she saw.

I watch her, almost mesmerized by the way she sorts through the racks of items on display, running her fingers across the rows of clothes, tilting her head as she spreads out the fabric to get a better look. I see her bite her plump bottom lip when she finds something she gets excited to try on, handing item after item to all four of the guys surrounding her. My eyes focus on the devious smirk curling her lips and the way she holds back her smile and laughter as the guys struggle to keep everything from falling to the floor.

I can't help watching her. She's methodical and deliberate in the way she moves, the way she assesses and chooses what she wants. She's functional in her choices, choosing comfort and utility over glamor.

"Ugh," Eli groans, "another oversized sweater?" He already has three draped over his arms that she picked out before.

"She'll need them if she wants to be anywhere near your frigid ass," Dean pokes fun at Eli's gift.