Roots - Chapter 8

Start from the beginning

“Nunna, I don’t understand, you told me just last week that we must keep this between few people as possible, do you really think….?” I started to ask.

“Child, I am one hundred ten years old, I believe I know who I can trust and who I can’t.  Besides, I know he’s not the same man of his late great grandfather.  Besides do not think I know what you are up to.” My great grandmamma said as she stared at me in an intense gaze.

“What? What is Lisa up to Mrs. Vasilieva?” My mother said as she walked through the door.

“Your daughter, my dear is planning to go to Europe in search of her family, in hopes to reunite me with little family that I have left over there. Is this true Annalisa?” Nunna asked with a quirked eyebrow.  How the heck did she know? I thought myself.

“How did you? Never mind, the fact of the matter is, is that I wanted to do something nice for you.”

“And you think sneaking away to Europe is a way to do it Lisa?” My mother said with a hint of frustration.

“Mom, I wasn’t going to sneak away, I was going to ask for it as an early graduation present.” I said quickly, it wasn’t exactly a lie.  I admit I did think of it once last week, but then quickly thought to include it in a graduation deal.

“Annalisa, my dear child, I appreciate the thought, but I have lived my life.  I have done a little research of my own from time to time to see where my family is and received a few updates of their lives.  Yet, Europe is not a place for a girl your age, and your family lineage to be.” She dictated.

“Lisa, was this, what you were hiding from me? You wanted to go to Europe? Why couldn’t you just talk to me about this?” My mother said as she sat on the edge of the bed.  My eyes looked directly at Nunna’s seeking some sort of sign as to whether or not I could tell my mother.  But Nunna just turned her head to look out of the stupid window like she always did when she didn’t want to answer me.

“Mom, I’m sorry, but I think the only way for me to really know who I am, is to go back where I come from…to trace back my roots.  I have to go there and see with my own eyes, taste and feel Russia.  Trust me when I say, I never thought I’d hear myself say that, but it’s true.  This is something I must do.  If not before graduation then I will go by myself after graduation.  I have saved up enough money for a ticket and a few hotels.  I want, I am going whether you two agree or not.” I said with a firm confident voice. I was not budging from this.  I was going to look for my family.  I was going to help my great grandmamma get reconnected with at least one of them before she passed on from this world.

“Lisa I don’t think….” My mother started to say before my Nunna started laughing out loud.

“Nunna?” I asked.  I couldn’t help it as a smile was crossing my lips as well.  What on earth is she laughing about? I haven’t said anything funny have I? I thought to myself.

“Mrs. Vasilieva, are you alright?” My mother said with a smirk of her own.