Roots - Chapter 8

Start from the beginning

“Lisa, I was just about to leave actually.  I’ve been helping you so much with your assignment that it’s made me want to get re-in-touch with my roots.  I just had to meet your great grandmother for myself.  I was hoping she could tell me a little bit about Russia from when she lived there around the same time as my great grandfather.” Mr. Poloski said as he turned back to smile at my great grandmamma. Who does he think he is, coming in here, invading privacy, and getting way to close to my family? I thought as he went to get a few of his books that were on the windowsill.

“Thank you so much for allowing me to come see you Mrs. Vasilieva.  I look forward to our future visits.” Mr. Poloski said in his fluent Russian as he leaned down to kiss my great grandmamma’s cheeks before slightly bowing his head as he turned to start to leave. I was really in shock, I couldn’t move, couldn’t speak anymore.  What the heck is going on? Why is Mr. Poloski going to be visiting my great grandmamma more? Did they seriously have a conversation about the past?  She hated new visitors, well no that wasn’t exactly true, she was civil, but would never have a full out conversation about the past with someone she didn’t know.

“Mr. Poloski, here let me walk you out.” My mother said gracefully as she exited through door.  However, what really did make me lose it was when Mr. Poloski paused at the door and did a much more formal and graceful bow towards my great grandmamma and I before he turned back around and followed my mother. No, he couldn’t, what the heck was that about? Did Mr. Poloski know our family secret? How? Why? When? So many questions were now flooding my mind; I literally thought I was going to have a heart attack from all of it.

“Annalisa, for Christ’s sake, sits down will you, before you collapse dramatically on the nice, clean, hard floor.” Nunna said in her thick Russian.

“Nunna, what is going on? Why was my History teacher here?” I started bombarding her with questions.

She simply just raised her hand, “Silence child, goodness you’ll give me a headache. Now, as to your questions, your History teacher phoned me a few days ago, asking if he could meet with me.  He said that his family was from Russia and that he wanted to know a little bit more about the time period.  I do not know how he knew I was here, but what I do know is that he is indeed the great grandson of my parent’s advisor and monk, Rasputin.  He looks just like him as a matter of fact.” She started to explain.

“Nunna, does he know about us?” I asked softly, my eyes widen as she slowly took a deep breath and nodded.

“Nunna, how…how does he know? I didn’t tell him, I swear.” I said louder as I started to panic. My mind going crazy with questions such as, can Mr. Poloski really be trusted?  How can he be trusted when he had a secret meeting with my great grandmamma?  Who is Mr. Poloski? What does he want? What will happen now?

“Annalisa, stop acting like a chicken with its head chopped off, calm down.  Your History teacher will keep our secret, that I am most certain of.  I have actually entrusted him to look out for you.  You see, I knew his mother very well, she was one of my nurses for a long time, and before then, and I briefly met his grandmother when she first came over to America.  However, he’s a smart young man.  He found out about us before you even started asking in questions about your family history.  You see, Mr. Poloski is not just a History teacher, Annalisa.  He is still part of the Imperial Court of Russia.  When he went back to Russia when he was at university, he found some of his relatives who lived there, and hence he is actually William Porter Poloski Rasputin, Count of Russia.” My great grandmamma said proudly as she looked at me with a smile.  Okay what? Mr. Poloski? My lame World History teacher is first off Royalty like me? Secondly, he’s a Count? Thirdly, What? No, this cannot be happening.  Plus, why do I need to be looked after I was eighteen years old, about to graduate from high school, move across country to go to a school that no one would ever know who I was or expect a perfect student from.  Most importantly, I could just be me.  Forget being an Imperial Princess part, I want to just be me. I thought to myself.