25. Ghee Upma

Ram was in the middle of the dinner, watching Kuch kuch hota hain – one of his favorite evergreen movies.

"Papa, you know how much I love singing and dancing..."

"No..."

He giggled. He loved the movie mainly for two reasons. One, for the story itself. And two, choti Anjali reminds him of choti Shivi – who is not so badi even today – every single time. The way she spoke, her lovely wide smile, her cute-pouted face while making demands, her frown while arguing with him, everything.

Years passed, Shivi grew into a young beautiful woman, now married, yet nothing changed about her. Nothing changed between them. She is still a kid who put forth demand, and he fulfills it.

"Tomorrow is big day for Shivi. I should talk to her," he mused and dialed her.

Shivina aspired to start a fashion boutique. Since she wanted to do everything by herself, Ram advised her to first work in some firm to understand the system and get some real experience. Accordingly, she contacted few acquaintances & boutiques, gave interviews and secured an internship.

He wedged his phone between his ear and shoulder while heaping his plate with some more biryani.

****

"Mr. Kapoor," she gasped as he suddenly appeared in front of her. "You scared me."

"And you scared me. Why didn't you tell me?"

"What?" she sniffled, confused, and dabbed the tissue on her nose. "And what are you doing here?"

"To see you."

Priya froze at his answer.

"Woh... umm... Shivi told me you are sick. When I arrived here, I got to know that Meera Aunty is at Mama's place. Even Akki is out of town for his play. It's just three of you, so I thought someone should be here... just in case of any emergency," he added.

"I... we... we'd have–"

"I know, you would have managed," Ram interrupted her, "but give chance to others. At least when you're sick."

"It's nothing," she managed to say before sneezing. "Just some cold and cough."

"Hmm. Just some cold and cough. For which you took half day and was sleeping for past 4-5 hrs that you even missed your dinner," he interjected.

Astounded by his comment, she stared at him.

"Shivi told me," he murmured.

"You are overreacting," she replied and turned away. "It is already late. I will have food. Go and sleep." 

He followed her. 

"Mr. Kapoor..."

"Even I am starving. I was so tense that I left my meal in..." he shut his mouth.

She felt a sinking feeling in her stomach.

Was he so worried that he missed his dinner?

She mentally shook herself and gave him a weak nod, before she started walking.

"Why did you refuse to see a doctor?" he questioned as they entered the kitchen.

"Cause it is not that serious."

"You are not doctor."

She glared and opened the refrigerator. 

"I know how strong you are." He took the bowl from her hand and pushed the door with his elbow. "But for a change, listen to others. The world wouldn't stop if you rest."