Chapter-3- Surprise and pain

After Mohit came back to his office in Delhi from Kashmir trip he came to know about his family’s urgent call for a family function. He tried to remember if there is an occasion coming but couldn’t figure out any. As asked he went to Nagpur and from the moment he came out of the airport he saw people pointing towards him and gossiping something some people also congratulated him but he couldn’t understand the reason. 

He informed beforehand so his family car was waiting outside the airport for him. He doesn’t have a habit of chatting with drivers like his sisters and Sai so he can’t ask the chauffer what was going on. When he came in front of Chava Villa he saw that the Villa was decorated like a bride as anyone is getting married but then brushed the thought who will get married within this short period he was away just 15 days but as he entered he saw those things that generally present at the time of wedding only.

 In the hall, he heard his mother’s voice shouting to a servant “Shadi is today not after 7 days so do it fast. Ashwini have you kept all things ready? Shivani, get ready fast and check on Devi.” So it indeed was a marriage and on the day of his arrival only. he thought it must be Devi’s maybe Pulkit couldn’t wait anymore. He smiled to himself and went to see his sister.

When he entered Devi and Shivani’s room he saw both his sisters dressed in beautiful Lahenga but none was wearing Bridal attire but the most obvious thing was that it wasn’t Devi’s wedding was the presence of Pulkit there who was chatting with Shivani in their room. No groom will chat with his would-be sister-in-law in his in-law’s house on his wedding day.

 Devi saw him and said “thank god you are here. We were waiting for you, go get dressed Aai kept your dress in your room.” Now his mind started to wonder again what this is going on. Is it his wedding? But could that happen? There was no surety that he would come that day he just confirmed a few hours ago so they can’t take that risk of a surprise wedding and they will not do without asking as they know he is a rebilling man. It’s clear that it’s not his sisters’ wedding that only pointed to one person but he doesn’t want to think that his family again deprived him and gave him privilege first.

 He didn’t need to wonder much as Rajiv, Virat’s friend, and their family doctor’s son entered the room with a puzzled expression on his face. Pulkit asked, “You are here which means our Duhle Raja is ready finally?” He shook his head “no he is fussing over everything. He took good 25 minutes to set his hair only and get dressed after taking mercy on me but is not finding his stuff and complaining continuously. Oh, I come here to tell you that Virat is asking for Devi and Shivani. Girls please go and handle your brother otherwise our Virat Sahab will be the first groom who will be not ready till the time of leaving Barat.”  Devi and Shivani giggled and went to see the matter urging Mohit to get ready again. Mohit went to his room and saw the sherwani his Aai kept for him and sat on the bed.

His family always preferred and loved Virat over him. the best thing was always provided to him then Chava sisters and after that to him. Everyone loved Virat much only exception is his Chacu who fevered both the brothers the same. Virat got everything he wanted and what he did not want just wished also. He was the one among their siblings who got the first car, he got his bike at 18, the privilege to study in abrade and what not and now Virat is getting married first when he is elder. 

That was the cause people were pointing to him and gossiping they obviously do when a younger brother is getting married before the elder one and in a grand way. He never thought his family would do that at least not for him but for the family’s reputation they will not give him this right to Virat at least but they disappointed him again.

He got up and thought to search for his only friend Sai there. Though she is his youngest sister’s BFF and much younger than him, but he befriended her and she treats him as a friend. Actually, he loves her for a long back but couldn’t muster the courage to tell her. He dreamed about their marriage will be first and he will give Sai the privilege of being the first daughter-in-law of this family but no Virat has to shatter his dream. 

He went out but didn’t find Sai anywhere. A thought came to his mind that Sai may be refused to attain Virat’s wedding everyone knows their troubled relationship. He thought to ask about Alka aunty but he couldn’t see any of Joshis there. Before he wonders much he bumped into his Aai who was ready and scold him for not being ready and said him to get ready and come within 5 minutes as they are ready to leave. 

He didn’t want to go there but he didn’t have any option so he got ready and came down to see all are ready and happy people but only one person was looking unhappy like him and that one was none other than the groom Virat Ninad Chava himself. 

Soon they left Chava Nivas after chains of rituals and reached the venue after 45 minutes. Mohit was hell shocked to see Kamal and Alka welcoming the Barat. He tried to make his mind understand that Virat is going to get married to one of the relatives of Joshis that’s why they were absent in Chava Villa. His eyes searched Sai everywhere and imagine her descending from the stair all decked up. But when a stunning Sai came down from the stairs in her wedding attire and made the grand entry Mohit was the most unhappy person. 

He wanted to see her as a bride for god knows how long but when that day he saw her decked up as his brother’s bride he felt betrayed and devastated. He thought he should have guessed that Chava family will want the best for their Prince and who can be better than Sai in Nagpur and they all love her also. She is the mos beautiful girl of the city with intelligence, a beauty with brain. For Joshi family it’s obvious that they will choose the most eligible bachelor for their daughter and the cherry on top is that they knew him from childhood. 

But what surprised him most was the bridal couple how they agreed for marrying each other when they were always ready to paunch each other or humiliate each other. He became shattered as the couple took place in their respective places, it was unable to watch for him when Virat filled Sai’s hairline and tied Mangalsutr around her neck. The moment pandit ji announced them as Man and Wife Mohit’s world broke into pieces, the girl he loved from his adolescence period and dreamed about was now his younger brother’s wife his Bhabi, completely off-limit. He numbly saw them proceed with post-marital rituals and then Marriage Registrar came to make their wedding legal as per Indian Marriage Law. 

Mohit couldn’t take it anymore and slipped from the function. He spends the whole night on the roads of Nagpur walking aimlessly and the next day left for Delhi in presence of an important call from the office.