Chapter 19: The Argument

Start from the beginning

"You don't understand... You don't have a clue as to why I could be mad at you?" Esmyrie asks, finally raising her eyes to stare at her friend, her best friend, that betrayed her in her opinion.

"You're mad at me?" Neteyam asks, his hands instantly going towards his lap, messing with the many bracelets he wears.

"I haven't talked to you in three days Neteyam. Yeah, I'm mad."

"Why?" The boy asks, causing himself to get a harsh glare in response.

"Why? Why? Because you told Ao'nung about my past!" Esmyrie yells out, all her anger and frustration coming out all at once.

"I didn't even tell him anything! Just that your parents are with Eywa!" Neteyam says, trying to argue his case.

"Yeah! Which that's my story to tell! Mine, not yours!" Esmyrie shouts, each word hurting her side as she yells.

"It's not that big of a deal!"

"Yes it is! To me it is!" The girl raises her voice more, hating how she can't stand up so she is closer to the boy to show her true anger.

"How?!" Neteyam is now yelling too, his voice raising with each words, his voice no longer soft or having the accent like it usually does.

"You don't understand!"

"Then make me understand!" Neteyam pleads out.

"Your parents aren't dead Neteyam!? You wouldn't understand. You just wouldn't. You haven't had a hard day in your life! You are always the golden child. The perfect son. The warrior that can do no wrong. The baby boy of Jake Sully. You have the perfect family, perfect siblings. So no, you wouldn't understand!" Esmyrie shouts, putting a hand at her side from how much she is yelling.

"That's not fair... that's not fair." Neteyam shakes his head, his voice turning soft again, sadness in his eyes.

"Yeah, well life isn't fucking fair Neteyam. I know."

"Well I'm sorry that your mother died during your child birth. I'm sorry that your father died because of skypeople! But I didn't tell them that! I didn't say anything besides the fact they are dead!" Neteyam says, his voice stone cold, aggressive, but not loud.

"It doesn't matter whether you gave them every detail or just told them two words 'they're dead' it doesn't matter because it's still going behind my back! Do you know what it's like? To be blamed for your mothers death. To not understand why your father takes you somewhere to be babysat while he goes off. Thinking that he doesn't like you. Thinking that he blames you for his wife's death. Do you know what it is like to hear that the only family member you have left is dead? And not only that but that they died in pain. That they were suffering. Do you know what it is like to have all your hopes up after that confession, thinking that although they are gone, they had the ceremony and Eywa accepted him with open arms, only to find out his body was left there!? Left where he was suffering! Or to see his body be nothing but ash with all the other Na'vi, now never knowing if he is apart of our ancestors. Being too afraid to connect to the tree of souls in fear that he won't be there and that it will be true, that he is gone, forever."

"Esmy-"

"- No, you don't! And for once, just once I wanted to be treated normally. I wanted to be treated like a teen girl that just went with some family friends on a trip to get away from the war because I am so close with all of the families kids. I for once didn't want to be blamed for my mothers death. I for once didn't want the idea of the banishment in my head. I for once didn't want to be seen as a freak. As an outcast. As an orphan. And you took that right away from me the moment you opened your mouth and said they were dead. Because although sure, yeah, you just said that, you didn't go into detail, they still now know. And they are using that against me! They are using the fact that I am an orphan against me!" Esmyrie is breathing hard after her confession, tears falling down her face without her command at her anger.