Chapter 19: The Argument

It has been three days since the incident and they have been the worst three days for Neteyam.

Esmyrie won't notice him, at all.

Neteyam has tried to convince his father to let him put the ointment on Esmyrie and when Esmyrie found out, she gave him the hardest glare he has ever received.

He has tried talking to her. Nothing.

He has tried giving her dinner. She won't take it from his hands.

He has tried staying in the hut with her. Dead silence.

And he is losing his absolute mind about it.

He hates seeing his siblings hanging out with Esmyrie and nothing is wrong. But the moment he tries to hangout with her, he gets a glare which makes him so uncomfortable he leaves.

The whole family can tell that there is tension too. Not just with Neteyam and Esmyrie though. From Lo'ak and Jake too.

Lo'ak still hasn't apologized to Ao'nung. The bruises are still all on the boys, Lo'ak too. But it's like Lo'ak doesn't care how angry Jake gets with him about the issue. His main concern is Esmyrie.

It isn't until his father threatens to make Esmyrie and him be distant if he doesn't apologize that gets him to leave.

Neteyam assumes that is where Lo'ak is now, apologizing to the boys, following their father's orders (for once).

And again, he is left in the hut, alone with Esmyrie.

Kiri and Tuk are with Tsireya.

Lo'ak is out apologizing to the boys.

And Jake and Neytiri are having a 'date', which is just them riding their Ikran above water.

So it's just Neteyam and Esmyrie in the hut, completely silent. Esmyrie working on matching bracelets for her and Kiri, while Neteyam works on weaving a basket.

He has been working on it the last three days, it's a basket for Esmyrie to put her father's stuff in, as recently his stuff has just been laying beside her bed. He wants it to be a surprise, hoping maybe it can be a apologize gift but he isn't sure how much longer he can take the silence, and he is only half way done with the basket.

He doesn't want to wait three more days until he talks to her.

He can't wait three more days.

It's so silent in the hut, the only sounds being Neteyams hands that weave away and the beads that occasionally fall to the floor for the bracelets.

Neteyam is pretty sure the silence is going to suffocate him whole if he stays like this a moment longer.

His eyes leave the basket he is working on when he hears a hiss from the girl.

Esmyrie pricked her finger while she was engraving into one of the beads, her knife slipping, causing drops of blood to fall to the floor.

"Are you alright?" Neteyam asks, abandoning the basket, his hands now going to help himself up, but Esmyrie stops him from doing so when he sees the look she is giving him.

She doesn't say anything, just stares at him for a moment before going back to her beads, wiping the blood on her bandage that keeps pressure on her slowly healing wound.

Again, nothing. Not a word or a sound from the girl directed towards him.

"Will you please talk to me?" Neteyam pleads out, his ears going against his head in sadness.

"No." Esmyrie says, her eyes staying focused on the beads and bracelet.

"Look... I don't understand why you are so upset." Neteyam says, truly not seeing the problem.