Chapter 52: Not Her

They are getting chased.

Esmyrie doesn't know how many there are, but there are too many machines chasing them, trying to grab onto them.

She lost Lo'ak in the coral, using that as a hiding place, until one of the sea machines found her.

Since then she has been diving, making turns left and right to try and escape the grasp they want on her.

She can visibly see Kiri and Tuk, but Lo'ak, she can't find Lo'ak. And Neteyam, he is nowhere to be seen.

It's scaring her endlessly. Her Ilu can feel her stress and keeps pushing in the water, dragging her body with it to get away from the skypeople, but every turn they take, a new machine is there.

She can taste blood, she has been biting her lip this entire time, and her hands are beginning to shake as they hold the Ilu.

Tsireya, Ao'nung, Roxto, Neteyam and Lo'ak.... Her friends and family she can't find.

Part of her thinks about letting the sky people grab her, because if she is captured and her friends are too, they will all be together. The rational part knows though that the skypeople would kill her in a second.

She doesn't mean anything to Jake Sully, atleast that's what the skypeople think. She isn't one of his, and therefore may be seen as nothing more but a body to kill and throw out to sea.

But Neteyam, Lo'ak, Tuk and Kiri, the skypeople would hurt them to get to Jake, they would use them as leverage... And that makes her worry more.

Keep moving, keep turning, keep yourself away from the demons.

Find your friends, find your mate, find your family.

Get revenge for her father, get everyone to safety, get Neteyam far away.

She has so many thoughts that her mind is getting blurred. She also is losing much needed air. However, she keeps moving, needing to find her mate, her brother, and her friends.

She doesn't even pay attention to the glowing fish that go and try and blind the humans in the machines, or the Ilus that swim around her to try and trick the demons.

Her thoughts are Neteyam. Her confident, accepting, hardworking brother who may not be by blood but by love. The boy who always will take the blame for his brother. Who always gives time for Tuk. The one who talks to Kiri when she is upset. The boy who complains about helping his mother cook but secretly loves that time alone with his mom. The boy who tries so hard to be his father.

Her thoughts are Tuk. The young girl who above all protects, when at such a young age. The one who always makes the mood happier. The young girl, who is more like Esmyrie's sister, always finds beauty, even in all the chaos. The girl that sees Neteyam as another father figure. The girl who teases Lo'ak for the attention. The one who likes to sleep on Jake's chest more than Neytiri's because her mother holds her a little too tight. The glue of the Sully family.

Her thoughts are Kiri. The girl, who is wise for her years and has connections no one understands but her. The girl who sees herself as a freak but secretly loves her gift Eywa gave her. Kiri, Esmyrie's best friend, the one she would sit with during late nights just looking at the stars. The healer of the group, not just from physical wounds but words too.

Her thoughts are on Roxto. The boy who teased her and bullied her at first, but has shown his loyalty with helping Kiri. The boy Esmyrie has forgiven as he has a heart of gold but just tries to hide it in front of his friends.

Her thoughts are Ao'nung. The boy who started out an asshole but since then has tried to be forgiven for his actions. The one who gives her brother Neteyam longing glances when he thinks no one is looking. The one who will tease Neteyam just so he can get shoved or slapped by the boy. The boy who has too many responsibilities as a kid.