"Sir Guy's Dilemma", Ch. 23 End (R rated) Love Conquers All

Start from the beginning

Lady Mary:  "It is an M on my wedding nightgown, Mama."  Smiling, she holds up the garment--with an M half completed in the middle of the bodice for all to see. Her little sisters titter with laughter.  Lady Mary pouts.

Lady Isabelle:  "Shush, you two.  Someday you will be brides, too."  The two girls nod politely with  their mother's gentle reprimand.  The six year old Lady Caroline returns to playing with her baby dolly--when not so long ago,  she was her sister Lady Mary's real life baby dolly.  The eleven year old Lady Ariadne returns to sewing her embroidery sampler of the alphabet.

Lady Eliza: "That is very nice, Mary dear." She smiles warmly, as does Lady Mary's mother.  They share a knowing look.

Lady Mary:  Turning to Lady Roseanna and Lady Saline, she asks innocently.  "Do you think George will like my embroidery?  I want to please him."  She asks sweetly as a young woman who  is still but fifteen years.

Lady Saline:  "Mary, your embroidered M's are much better than mine ever were."  She says agreeably.  Then she darts a furtive glance at Lady Roseanna.

Lady Mary:  "Thank you, Saline."  She beams and lays the nightgown against the front of her dress.  "And you, Rose?  Do you think your brother will like it?"    She asks earnestly.

Lady Roseanna:  "My dear, it is lovely.  I am sure that George will find you charming--with or without the M on it."  She smiles encouragingly.

Lady Saline:  "And with or without the nightgown."  Lady Saline smiles saucily. She is eighteen years old and presents herself as being worldy wise--whether she is or not.

Lady Roseanna:  "Saline!"  She hisses in a mock shocked whisper, while trying to stifle a smile.

Lady Mary:  "What do you mean, Saline? "  She looks innocently at Lady Saline.

Lady Saline and Lady Roseanna share an understanding glance between them.

Lady Saline:  "It is just that ..."  She can not find the words.  Though she has an inkling about her own wedding night, it is perhaps more vaguely sketched out in her mind than she has previously let on.  "Rose?  Help?"  She asks for both herself and for Lady Mary.

Lady Roseanna:  Lady Roseanna's eyes widen and her eyebrows raise.  "Lady Mary, um, what has your Mama told you about ... the love that husbands and wives share?"  She blushes a bit.

Lady Mary:  Lady Mary's cheeks pinken as she realizes her ignorant state.  "Welllll.  Mama  said that she thinks Lord George will be a very kind and gracious husband to me."  She smiles.  "George is so kind, and caring, and polite to me that I am sure she is right."  

Lady Roseanna:  "Did she say anything else?"  She leans forward--as does Lady Saline.

Lady Mary:  "And, she said that Lord George would come to me in the night and that we will sleep in the same bed.  And in time, she hopes that we will bless her with a grand child."  She smiles pleased with herself for almost remembering her mother's exact words.

Lady Saline:  "That is all?"  She asks incredulously--her own mother not even saying that much yet. 

Lady Mary:  "Yes?"  She quizzically furrows her brow.

Lady Saline:  "What about marital ... um, what happens between a husband and wife?" Lady Saline asks with pursed lips--because she is really asking Lady Rose this for her own edification, as she steals another glance at her friend.

Lady Roseanna:  Realizing that it will fall to her to enlighten these young ladies--in order to prepare them and ease their fears of the unknown--she sets down her embroidery, while stealing a glance at the bridal mothers and the two Havorford girls sitting a mere fifteen feet away from them.  So she whispers.  "Mary and Saline,  the love of one's husband is a blessed and joyful thing."  She blushes with embarrassment.