The Unorthodox Life of Aaliyah Kaye Marx (30)

Start from the beginning

All of these thoughts tumbled through my mind as I put on some pop tarts and quickly scarfed them down. I tossed a pop tart to Daisy who was pulling at my jeans under the table and I grabbed my keys off of the counter when I heard movement from upstairs, dashing out my front door to my car I hopped in and lit up a cigarette, smoothly reversing out of my driveway. I decided I had enough time for a few laps of town before I headed to school - I mean what good would it do to my image to turn up at school a good hour before first class?

My phone started buzzing in my pocket while I was cruising along the road running parallel to the beach, the salty tang in the air really refreshing me. Clamping my cigarette between my teeth I pulled out my phone and held it to my ear, "Hello?" I inquired, taking my other hand off the wheel to hold my cigarette.

"Ali where are you and why weren't you answering me before?"

"Hello Jay, good morning to you too." I replied rolling my eyes, before removing my hand from the wheel for a second to take another pull from my fag.

"No seriously Ali - why weren't you answering, I was nearly worried, and where are you? You didn't even come home last night. Dad's pissed."

"Dad can piss off - it's none of his business where I was or yours either for that matter and dude, this is the first time you called me. I'm doing a few laps before heading to school."

"Are you DRIVING and talking on the phone at the same time?!"

"And smoking - see, I can multitask when I need to." I chuckled.

"Ali pull over so I can god damn well talk to you!"

"We're already talking - why do I need to pull over?"

"PULL OVER. NOW."

"Fine..." I sighed, making a sharp turn and skidding onto the side of the road. There were barely any cars on the road at this hour anyway.

"Yes Jay, now what was so terribly important that I had to pull over?" I sighed bringing the end of my fag to my lips before tossing the butt away.

"Why didn't you come home last night - and I didn't mean why didn't you answer a phone call I meant why didn't you answer when I called you in the mind link - tool." He added the insult snidely onto the end of his explanation. "And actually you didn't answer the phone to me yesterday during school, now that I think of it."

"I was having sex with Kaden. You didn't call me Jay? Oh and Kaden had taken my phone and turned it off yesterday at school."

"A- Ali!" He spluttered and I threw back my head and laughed - I could picture his embarrassed expression perfectly in mind just by the sound of his stuttering words. "Too much information - Jesus christ, I'm your brother!"

"You asked and I told - so yeah, back to this mind thingy - you never called me?"