Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Five years later...

Regina sifted through the endless piles of law textbooks and school supplies that littered her dining room table, trying to organize everything before her first day of law school in two weeks. Suddenly feeling overwhelmed, she ran into her bedroom to retrieve the faded green hoodie that had become her safety blanket over the last five years, pulling the soft material onto her body and zipping it up, covering her head with the familiar hood. Her fingers instinctually ran over the tattered yellow bracelet on her left wrist as her eyes scanned the suitcase in the corner, in the same place she had left it when she returned from her European trip, waiting to be unpacked. One annoying task at a time, she thought to herself as she made her way back into the living room, creating yet again another pile of textbooks. The reality of starting law school was starting to hit her, and the task felt daunting. She started to second guess her decision when there was a surprise knock at the door, startling her from her pity party.

"Daddy? What are you doing here?" she asked as soon as she opened the door, surprised to see her father standing on the other side.

"Can't a father come and visit his only daughter?" Henry asked, walking into her apartment.

"Of course. I just didn't expect to see you," Regina said, following her father over to the couch where he put down the box of pastries and tray of coffee he was holding, hugging her tightly. "And you brought treats I see. Seriously, what's going on?" She sensed he was hiding something.

"I came to hear all about your trip," he answered, handing Regina a cup of coffee before rushing into her kitchen to grab plates for the snacks.

"No, you didn't. We spoke about my trip for two hours on the phone the other night," Regina said, accepting the coffee from her father, taking a sip to discover her favorite latte filling her senses.

"Humor me." Henry smiled. "How was your trip? Were you able to clear your head a bit before starting school?"

"Not really." Regina frowned.

"It's Emma, isn't it. You still miss her?" Henry asked, taking a sip of coffee.

"Of course I do. She's my Soulmate, Daddy. Nothing makes sense without her. The world is dull and gray and empty without her," Regina explained, a stray tear falling from her eye. "What's really going on? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, I promise. So is your mother," he said, causing Regina's face to scour. "But you're right, there is another reason for my visit, not that I don't enjoy seeing you."

"And I you," she said, reaching into the box of pastries, pulling out a delicious-looking cannoli. "Now spill it, old man."

"I came to give you this," he said, handing her a folded envelope from inside his pocket. "It came in the mail yesterday."

Regina took the envelope and studied it closely. The envelope had no written return address; instead, in its place was the logo of a diner in Tallahassee, Florida. Her heart stopped when she immediately recognized the handwriting on her name and address.

"Emma..." she whispered, her eyes automatically filling with tears.

"She's been sending them multiple times a week since she left. But your mother always got to them first and burned them immediately. This was the first one I was able to intercept in the last five years. Your mother has no idea I have it," he explained.

"She's been writing to me?" Regina asked, her voice low and wracked with guilt.

"Yes. Several times a week. What are you waiting for? Read it!" Regina tore open the envelope, careful not to rip it too much.