jahseh's sweet aroma

imani jyne

i woke up and stretched before opening my eyes and realizing that i wasn't in my room, with nobody in sight i got out of the bed and ventured into the living where i seen jahseh sitting at a desk humming as he clicked away on his computer, i watched his head bop up and down slowly as he listened to the song playing.

"0h she said in triumph, oh she said to me, baby you're the one, baby you're the one" i listened as the song played further "and i can't seem to figure out why i'm so in love"  i softly interrupted "that's a pretty nice song" i chucked as he jumped in fear and turned around to look at me "well goodmorning to you too" he said with a small nod "thank you, not just for the compliment but for everything you did for me last night" he paused for a bit "i'm sorry about that" he scratched his head in embarrassment "it's okay, jahseh" i smiled sympathetically at the boy "but don't pull that shit again you scared the shit out of me"

he let out a soft chuckle before nodding "no problem ma'am" there was an awkward silence, i uncomfortably scratched the back of my head before speaking "well i think im gonna uhh head back over to my place" i said as i stood awkwardly in the middle of his living room "okay, but before you go im having a few friends over for a kickback and i think you should come" he said "hmm, seems like you only want me to come so i don't complain about the noise" i said with an eyebrow cocked

"tahaha, nah shorty i just fucks with you and i don't mind having you around" he said with a small laugh, standing up now face to face with me. i felt my breathing hitch as i stared into his angelic eyes "i- sure i'll come" i stammered out "good, ill let you know when it's time" "let me get your number" he said, eyeing me up and down slowly. i nodded before he handed me his iphone xr and i saved my phone number in there. "see you later, jahseh" i said with a nod before finally exiting his apartment with a long sigh.

now back in my apartment i suddenly longed to be back in my neighbors presence, all my life id been that girl that was made fun of because of how 'black' i was but honestly i'd grown to love my complexion despite all of the taunting and colorism i'd endured all my life, but that also swayed me away from dating as a whole, and so at 21 i was still a virgin, never even had my first kiss and honestly it was a bit embarrassing. and now that i'm unfortunately crushing on my neighbor i know that i'll have to address this within myself.

i sat at a bar stool deep in thought when suddenly i hear my phone ding, i pick up my slightly cracked iphone 11 and looked at the screen.

954-254-6302: what's good shorty!

i softly chuckled at the message before conjuring up a response

imani: hi lmao

954-254-6302: ah yes, so she's dry as fuck irl and in text messages?

imani: i'm not dry you just have too much energy

you saved 954-254-6302 to " indigo "

indigo: yea whatever
indigo: anyways, the kickback starts at 6 so be here

imani: idk if i like the demanding ..
imani: now i'll have to think about it

indigo: you got nothing better to do lil feisty

imani: terrible name please never let it spill from your lips again

indigo: whatever, imani

i decided to simply leave him on read, don't get me wrong i did have a little crush forming but you'd never catch me acting thirsty or doing too much over a guy, it just wasn't like me at all. i thought about
my neighbor jahseh's sweet aroma of cigarettes and cologne which i never thought i'd feel attracted to, i thought about his soft skin and how my stomach erupted with butterflies as he wrapped his muscular arms around my petite body, i thought about his captivating light brown- almost hazel eyes and how i caught myself tripping over my words just looking at them.

i never thought that i'd be attracted to anyone in my crappy apartment complex let alone my brand new neighbor who was very edgy and mysterious, but clearly shit happens and here i am.