36. Eye of the Beholder

Start from the beginning

Not all Arab women were crazy, although she could not say she didn't fit the bill a little too well.

Sure, Mona was well-mannered and nice, she was strong-minded and a very intellectual person but her ex-husband had met her wrath many times before. Their arguments, the very few they have had, would often result in Heath apologising, even if she was in the wrong. It was for the sake of keeping peace and harmony.

She had high expectations since she had waited so many years to be able to "date". She loved hard, however, her frustrations and annoyance could be seen written across her face if even the smallest thing set her off.

He had seen sweet, polite Mo, and then there was the Mo that he would have to shower in love and affection until she finally stopped having an attitude.

That was something she needed to self-reflect and work on. She couldn't become so easily bothered when she heard something she didn't like or if it was said in a slightly different tone than usual.

Most of the time, Heath was simply exhausted and replying in a fair, unfiltered way and it would be enough for her sensitive nature to press him on it.

Though, since Theo was still pretty new in her life, he read the message as a positive and not aimed at her ex-husband.

I'd enjoy it a lot more if I knew I'd be seeing you for dinner when I get back.

She blinked, once, twice, and then her teeth sunk into her bottom lip, chewing nervously.

Is that your way of asking me out on a date, Mr. Firefighter?

Buzz. The phone pinged almost immediately.

Would you say yes if it was?

She wanted to ask him why. What about the man he was currently looking after?

Did he feel no shame to ask such a thing?

What about Heath? She mused. Did he seriously not care?

It took her a few minutes, but she ended up responding in a casual yet honest way.

I would. But the only place that's remotely decent for a date is in a few towns over, and it's pretty hard to get reservations.

She needed to stop thinking about Heath first, and start living life the way she deserved to. With no care in the world.

Send me over the details, beautiful. I'll get it sorted.

Oh, and Friday night is okay with you, yeah?

Friday night was perfect.

Their dinner date came sooner than she thought and she could not say she was most pleased. No, she was at a total loss.

In what was supposed to be an elegant mid-length dress that showcased her curves nicely, dark brown eyes ran over her curvy figure with utmost judgement.

It felt like she had been trying to get herself ready and looking nice forever, she was well and truly giving up.

Mona pursed her lips in heavy thinking, defeated as her reflection stared back at her.