The Final Form

It was finally done. God stepped back as the Executioners woke up and rose from the many exam tables. He watched as they shook off the haziness from the operation. Without being told, they lined up. About fifty Executioners were standing in five rows of ten. It wasn't as many as God had hoped for, but their powers and abilities more than made up for it. He grinned. This was what he had been striving for. He snapped his fingers, and they followed him outside the building to a training arena. They split into pairs and started mock fighting while their creator watched. God almost forgot to order them to stop in all his delight. After an hour, he had seen enough and ordered them to rest. The sun was setting as he sealed the entrance to their quarters. It was a beautiful dark gold with bloody red streaks and deep navy-blue streaks.

A few days later, training began at a very high level. Each Executioner was expected to handle various weapons, from firearms to spears. Of course, hand-to-hand combat was also stressed. God couldn't have them completely reliant on weapons. If needed, they were expected to become weapons themselves. The Executioners gradually adjusted to their new existence. All of them had once been true angels and served Heaven. But now they were on another level. They served the light in a new way. Many of their memories had been completely erased. Only fragments remained, along with the desire to serve and follow orders. But God had still allowed them to think and act for themselves. He didn't like mindless puppets. What fun was a mere servant with no spine? The Executioners were far from empty husks. And it wouldn't be incredibly inaccurate to say they no longer had souls. While experimenting, God had replaced their once purely angelic essence with something far more interesting to toy around with. As for what happened to the souls, the only one with the answer kept it to himself.

When the Executioners were ready, God had a treat in store to celebrate. It was kind of like a party. He had observed that they required a large amount of food to function as they burned through energy at an exponential rate. Thus, he laid out a huge feast before his loyal minions. They immediately filled their plates and glasses. God chuckled as he watched the Executioners devour everything. And, of course, he enjoyed a few helpings himself.

After eating, God announced his future plans. They wouldn't start till the following month, but he wanted them to keep it in the back of their minds. He expected them to be ready. God's soldiers listened as the wild party vibe subsided. He handed them each a scroll with the initial details and instructed them to read over them carefully whenever they saw fit. With that, he dismissed them. God smiled as they departed. He had truly created something of wonder. The Executioners were a splendid bunch full of potential. They had learned new techniques and taught one another as well. Their creator hadn't expected this part, but the current results earned them a gleaming smile. With a wave of his hand, God cleaned the cafeteria and saw himself out with a chuckle. He hadn't imagined things would have gone this well. But now he had to deal with something closer to home.