hotbox, quiet talks

It's a tragic thing, love. The way it hits you like a train at the least convenient times. Like, for example, when you're trying to fend off monsters from another dimension in order to save the world. But, for Steve Harrington, that's just life.

He's watching Eddie as he ever-so-valiantly slays a demo-whateverthefuck when the thought breaks the surface. He loves this guy. Like, loves him. Not the high school hallway crush kind of love. The raw, gut-wrenching, "Fuck, I can't live without this person" kind of love. The kind that manifests itself in staying up until two in the morning replaying your conversations because, what do they really mean? The kind that makes you absolutely sick to your stomach.

But wait, cue the freeze frame, record scratch, all that cliché shit. Formalities.

It all started one night in Eddie's van (well, really, it all started when Steve met the guy, but this is when it started getting juicy, in Steve's humble opinion). Everyone else had fallen asleep, leaving Eddie and Steve as the only people who were still awake. They hadn't known each other all too well back then, but there was quite literally no one else they could talk to. Plus, they weren't complete strangers, because believe it or not, saving the world together can really bring two people closer.

Steve's sitting against one of the van's interior walls, shivering as he picks at his nails. There's no obvious sign of anyone else being awake, so he's decided to just wait it out until either he falls asleep or someone wakes up. That's when it happens.

"Hey. Steve?" A single soft whisper from the other side of the van. "Dude, you up?"

Thank fuck. Another insomniac. Even if it is Eddie "the freak" Munson, from the sound of it. "Yeah," he says, not so loud as to wake anyone up but still loud enough that Eddie can hear him. "What's up? Can't sleep?"

There's a rustling of clothes and the sound of light footsteps on linoleum when Eddie gets up, carefully stepping over his friends' sleeping bodies, before slotting himself into the tight space between Steve and the wall. Damn, Steve thinks. Eddie really isn't afraid to get in his personal space, which is something Steve honestly doesn't mind, because he's freezing his ass off.

"No," admits Eddie. "You can't either, I'm guessing?" Steve nods his head in confirmation.

"Nope. Also, as much as I appreciate you giving me your vest, it's cold as hell in here."

Eddie gives him a quiet chuckle at that. "Isn't hell supposed to be hot?"

"Shut up," Steve counters. "You get the message. I'm freezing."

"Yeah, no shit, me too. It's gotta be, like, negative 20 at least in here."

"But you have a jacket. Imagine how I feel." Eddie gives Steve a once-over in his makeshift bandages and vest, courtesy of Nancy and Eddie respectively, and winces. "You sure you don't have any, like, blankets, pillows, jackets, anything?"

Eddie shakes his head apologetically. "Sorry man, I've got nothin'. But..." he pauses for a moment, thoughtful, before following up with, "maybe we could...share body heat?" It's more of a question than a statement, and Steve contemplates briefly before nodding his head. It's not ideal, but it's their best bet, and Steve isn't about to let it go to waste. Besides, they've been through worse shit together than having to share body heat. And though neither of them would dare to admit it, it's obvious they're both a little touch-starved.

"Yeah, that sounds...promising."

"I—okay. But lose the vest, Harrington. I've got something better."

Eddie doesn't have to tell him twice. Steve sheds the borrowed vest and breathes a sigh of relief when Eddie removes his heavy leather jacket, draping it over his shoulders. "Thank you," he says, still shivering despite the extra layer of warmth.

"Christ, you have got to be miserable," Eddie mutters, wrapping his arms around Steve's waist once the other man successfully gets his own arms inside the jacket's sleeves. He pulls him as close as he can, Steve's arms coming to wrap around Eddie as well. Eddie's arms are flush against the bandages covering Steve's bat bites beneath the jacket, which over time have grown much colder than his overall body temperature.

Eddie seems to take notice of this and squeezes Steve's waist just a little tighter and whispers, partly to himself, "They're so cold. Why are they so goddamn cold?" He's shifted so that his chest is mostly against Steve's and his head rests in the crook of his neck, their legs tangling together in the dark.

Steve's heart rate increases as he recounts the traumatic event that lead to the bites. "I–I don't know. They just—" he sighed in defeat. "They've been like that and it fucking sucks."

"Hey," Eddie mutters, moving his head to press his face against Steve's neck. He seems to have noticed the way Steve's voice is starting to tremble. "It's okay, you don't have to know." Steve can feel his lips moving against his neck, and he's sure Eddie could feel the increasing pulse in his neck at the contact. Thankfully, if he can he doesn't mention it and instead focuses on tracing mindless patterns with his fingers on Steve's middle. "Are you okay?" he asks, probably knowing the answer. Steve shakes his head.

"No, Eddie. I haven't been okay, not since any of this fucking started. I live in constant fear for my life, for everyone else's, hell I barely even know you and I worry about you," he says quietly. Eddie looks up at him, making eye contact.

"I get it," he whispers, and Steve is relieved. Relieved that he's not the only one being completely torn apart in more ways than one by this shitshow, that he has someone who gets him, who understands him. "I worry too. About the kids, mainly, but everyone else as well." He drops his head onto Steve's shoulder again and sighs. "All of this is just so… new to me, and it's so surreal. I mean, here I am, in the back of my van with four teenagers, three adults and I'm cozied up with Steve fucking Harrington of all people. Do you see what I mean?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I do." They stay silent after that, Steve starting to doze off as he starts gently moving his hand along Eddie's arm.

Eddie's breathing eventually evens out against his chest and he starts to snore. Steve falls asleep, and for the first time in months, doesn't have any nightmares. He could get used to this.