23: Amaranthine

"ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?" DIO ASKED.

I laughed. "I should be asking you that question."

We were going through with the plan. It was a little earlier than expected, but who knew when the Joestars would show up. We had to do it as soon as possible.

Dio frowned. "As I said, I am fine with whatever you wish. But for you to show me these memories, you also have to experience them—"

"Now now, we've discussed this already," I said calmly. I pecked him on the lips to placate him before standing to my full height. "Lay back."

Dio followed my order slowly, like he was waiting for me to rescind it. By the time his head came to rest on the arm of the sofa, I'd already taken my position by the arm of the sofa. I stood facing the top of his head so I could put my hands on his temples.

I activated my Stand and tried not to think too much about how the scenes playing beneath my closed eyelids made me feel. I didn't remember all the times I'd died, but my Stand did. Somehow, it had pulled up things I didn't even remember happening. Things that were so far in the past that I'd forgotten. Some things certainly never happened― they must have been dreams. I had several about Dio killing me accidentally at the Joestar mansion the night it burned down and about Pet Shop skewering me with icicles after a failed break in. It was strange how real those things felt. Hopefully they felt real to Dio as well.

When my Stand's power finally sputtered out, I collapsed to my knees. Vanilla Ice, who had been hovering anxiously around the sofa, rushed over. "Freya! Lord Dio!" He exclaimed. Though he'd stabilized me, I felt like his concern was directed more towards Dio.

I moved around the side of the sofa to shake Dio's shoulders. "Dio. Are you conscious?"

Dio's eyes flickered open. For a startling moment, they were blood red. When he blinked, they turned back to their usual golden color. "I'm alright," he said. "That . . . took more out of me than expected."

I sighed in relief. At least that was all it was. "You did well. I'm glad you're alright. Do you think it worked?"

Dio shook his head. "I still feel connected to the Joestars."

I pursed my lips. "I want to make sure before we jump to extremes."

Dio didn't say anything as I headed to the door, but before I could leave, he called out. "Vanilla Ice, go with her. Protect her."

Vanilla Ice was loyal as ever. He helped me through the mansion and outside. We made it to the telephone booth.

Long ago, Speedwagon had made me memorize a number to call when I died. Although I never used it, I'd also never forgotten. He promised it would always be there as long as the foundation existed. I hoped that was true.

I dialed the number I'd kept in the back of my mind for years. The phone rang once, twice, three times. Then someone picked up.

"How did you get this number?!" A surprised voice answered the phone.

I smiled. He'd kept his promise. "A friend of a friend," I answered.

"What? This phone never rings. You're prank calling."

I raised an eyebrow. "Do people often prank call this number?"

The man on the other end seemed to remember this himself. "No! I . . . I was just surprised. There's a legend that this phone hasn't rang once the whole time it's been here. I guess it was just suspicious. Um, who are you?"

"Freya," I answered. "I'm calling because I was traveling with the Joestars earlier. They picked me up in Varanasi but I died and I have no idea where they are now. Can you tell them I'm in Cairo?"