Prologue

Prologue

The view from the top floor of the corporate building had to be breathtaking. The view from all the buildings of Manhattan was the same, but watching from the building where the man's pride and joy rests was exceptional.

The company had used up all his sweat and time to be where it was now. Being one of the leading oil industrialists needed a lot of hard works and dedication. Traveling throughout Pennsylvania to Louisiana then all the way to Texas and back to Manhattan had been worthwhile. The refineries back there were working well and profitable as they should be under his watchful eyes. For two years, he had been making his mark in the company by taking the load of the work in the Middle East. 

However, last year had seen many changes and it was high time he came to claim his right. Upon his arrival, all the aspirations of the business changed through his new vision.

Now he had a multi-billion dollar company to be proud of. This was all his doing. No one could mock him because everyone knew how his struggle made the company stand on its own. Not even his bastard of a father could detect a fault in it anymore. Finally, the company decided to venture locally more beneficially after his takeover. It had been a year since he came to the country and since the company became officially his.

Or so he thought.

He stood in front of the tall glass windows of his office and surveyed the sight before him with pride. His green eyes lit up when he stared over the city from this high point, reminding himself how he worked his way up, how he kept it all together for the children under his care, for the thousands of workers under him. He watched the red, white, and yellow stream of cars on the freeway below him. The time never stopped for anyone. 

His mother walked up beside him, trying to edge away as far as she could from the windows. She had always been scared of heights.

"Honey, you know your father wanted the best for you."

At once, his silence became tainted with memories of the past year. His mind clouded with unhidden rage. He whirled around to look at the woman who birthed him with shocked eyes. "Best? Best for who? That god damn bastard only lived to torture me!"

"No!" His mother immediately covered her ears, her accent coming at the front because of her distressed emotions. As if that would change the fact that her husband was a fucking scumbag. Her Russian heritage always tends to come baring whenever her husband was concerned. "He is your father!"

"He isn't my father. He never was!" The man shouted over his mother with a flake of his hand, his chest heaving at the thought of being related to that good-for-nothing product from such a virtuous bloodline. His Grandfather had the most fucked up luck in the world.

The devoted wife of Malcolm Dwayne rubbed the moisture from her eyes and walked closer to her son. "Listen, this could be all yours. Your father said it would be yours, but you just have to do what he said, honey! He was only doing this for your own good!"

The unloved son of Malcolm Dwayne gripped the edge of his desk and breathed hard. After a moment of suppressed anger, he spoke with such sharpness underlining his words, spreading his arms around the surrounding of his office room. "Why do I even have to do what he said to get what I deserve? I built this company from scratch when he nearly ruined it. I worked hard for it. What did he do?"

When there was only silence and shame radiating from his mother, he answered his own question with a mocking tone. "All he did was gamble and drink away the money my Granddad earned. He put this company in its last stage of bankruptcy. I saved it. I saved the company. Granddad gave me the responsibility because he himself knew his worthless son was good for nothing! Nothing at all!"