"And you do never miss it?" the Baron's son said.

Jake regarded the man with a smile, well aware that the question ought to have been another. "I sometimes do, but I know all is well. Rutger van Hoellen, the man I left in charge, has my deepest trust. He knows me very well and has not made one decision yet I would not have made so myself."

"And you never thought about settling down?"

"Many times," Jake lied. "But it seems I am too picky when it comes to women."

To that the Baron's son laughed and gave his wife and family a look of fondness, Jake hadn't expected the man capable of. Maybe his judgement had been wrong. Maybe the son wasn't greedy for power after all, just worried about his sickly father.

"On another note," Jake said, not liking where this conversation was headed. The idea of happy families had his stomach knot with guilt of ruining his own. "I sadly have to say, that on my travels I've not just seen thrilling places, but also a great deal misery." Plenty of places, sometimes whole villages, still hadn't been properly rebuilt, even though the war was long over. "I hope it stays away from your peaceful lands as far as possible."

The Baron's son took a sip from his cup of wine, badly hiding a face indicating that Jake himself might have brought trouble. "Yes, I've heard that not all the land is as blessed as our town," the man said.

"Doesn't it sometimes make you wish you could share your fortune?" Jake said carefully, despite the Baron's son's clear distaste. "I personally have wondered if building better roads wouldn't improve the trade throughout the kingdom."

"Aren't you just thinking about easier travels for yourself?"

"Perhaps." Jake chuckled, satisfied the Baron's son had thought the intended connection himself.

Jake had tried other approaches before in his talks, but had learned that no one believed a noble Count to be truly good hearted. And the odd rumours he had heard about himself would have left any selfless arguments utterly unbelievable anyway.

"The mining in my lands produces enough needles stones as by-products to cobble all the streets throughout the kingdom twice, probably. I just thought: Why not gain advantage of that?"

"That's the purpose of your visit? To offer us stones in exchange for money?" the Baron's son asked, not even trying to mask his disproval.

"Of course not." Jake forced a laughter. "Do you think me mad? The purpose of my visit is a visit." And gold. "As I said before, there are not many places in the kingdom I haven't seen yet, but your town was one left."

"I see," the Baron's son said. The man quite obviously doubted Jake's defence. And he had to admit, it was a weak one. He hoped the Baron himself would need less creative arguments to let go of his riches. And he would be easier convinced to do so.

"In the future I plan to sail. Have you ever been to the oceans?" Jake tried to save the evening.

"Just once."

"Is it true that people in the coast towns only have fish to eat? I'd hate that. I'd probably have to starve myself to death then."

The Baron's son shook his head. Jake didn't know if it should have been an answer or an expression of distaste about Jake's jumpy way to lead a conversation. In any case he would do better to leave it be for the night.

"I certainly have to admit, I favour such hearty dishes better," Jake said and stuffed a big piece of meat in his mouth to underline his argument.