Chapter 18 - Spring 1

Start from the beginning

"What I did? How am I at fault for this?" I snapped back, my tone embodying Haley's signature whine.

"You talked about food—gross food at that—in front of someone who couldn't even keep it down in a car full of silence. You think he can handle the mention of that shit?"

"What he should be able to handle is his own liquor," Haley bit back, rolling her eyes. "He does this every time. Not a single person should be feeling sorry for him right now."

"You realize I can still hear you, right?" Sam yelled from outside.

"Good, now actually listen to what I'm fucking saying!" she screamed back. "This is embarrassing for you."

"Surprised that kiss didn't sober him right up," Alex murmured. I knew it was coming. "I'm sure he got at least eight ounces of fresh saliva down his throat from that number."

"What the fuck?" I asked, reaching behind me to smack Alex. "You act like I hack and spit into the mouths of people I kiss." He was jealous. "You, of all people, should know that I don't." I whispered, glancing into my rearview mirror to watch his expression shift.

"I don't know, I've never gotten to experience Sloppy Sadie," he said blandly. "She seems more fun."

I could feel anger brewing in my veins, the temperature of my blood beginning to climb higher and higher. I recognized his tone—he was trying to get a rise out of me.

"I know you did not just call her sloppy!" Haley said, falling for his antics; her voice was aggressive. "Don't be a sore fucking loser."

"What do you mean, sore loser?" Alex spat. "You can't count spin the bottle as anything...It's not like she kissed him on her own free will."

"Maybe not him," Haley said, almost silently. Oh, God.

"You're fucking with me." Alex stated, the inflection in his voice that would indicate a question non-existent.

"No, Alex, I kissed your girl—and you don't even want to know what else we did."

"For fuck's sake, Haley, again?"

What?

"Okay, hang on a minute," I interjected, breaking my silence. "First of all, I'm nobody's 'girl'—secondly, what do you mean again?"

Alex burst into laughter, Haley not far behind. For a second, I felt offended—why was this funny?

"Am I missing something here?" I fumed.

"You know, Sade, I had a crush on Leah, what, summer after senior year?" Alex said, his tone significantly lighter than before. "Haley was an absolute bitch to her, per usual—hence why the whole damn town thinks she's in love with me."

"Nobody thinks that!" she shrieked.

"Everybody thinks that." He said dismissively. "Anyway, one day, I was trying to find Leah so that I could officially ask her out, or some dumb shit...Just to find these two making out behind the Saloon!"

I gasped, my hand flying to cover my mouth. "What?!"

"Alex was pissed, but he kept it a secret anyway, making up some ridiculous story as to why they didn't like each other anymore." Haley giggled.

"Wait, so, Haley—and Leah—" I stuttered.

"Leah has been out for a long time now, Sade, since she moved here," Haley said reassuringly. "Me, not so much. I came out to my parents when I was, like, five—I've always known. They, on the other hand...They were convinced that it was just a phase, or that I didn't know what it meant. They told me to keep quiet about it, so that's what I did."