04 | Fun in the sun

Echoes of lifeguard whistles, children giggling, playing, and building sandcastles.

Couples enjoying a day out on the beach, and teens enjoying one last summer before heading off into the real world.

The scorching sun burns my backside, while my toes play with the golden sand. Mikayla covers her eyes from the sun and is looking for where Justin and Ezra have gone too.

"Okay, look they couldn't have gone too far," said Mikayla walking a few paces in front of me.

We're standing in the middle of a sea of people laying down on cots with bright-colored umbrellas above their heads.

"You know, they could be lost somewhere" I paused. Or just messing around with people on the beach.

"You're right, we should go back to our spot before"-

A girl comes colliding fast into Mikayla's side causing her to lose her balance a little. I help Mikayla back to her feet and look up at the girl.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry for bumping into you" she paused. "These two guys were chasing after me and I was trying to escape from them."

Me and Mikayla make an "O" face and share a laugh or two. Looking over seeing Ezra and Justin painting heavily standing behind the new girl.

"What? Do you guys know them or something?" She asks curiously her eyes darting back and forth.

"Yeah, they're actually behind you" I pointed shaking my head at the both of them for their little games.

"Oh," she says

"Hey, I'm sorry for chasing you around like a crazy person and this is my friend, Justin," said Ezra placing an arm around his shoulder.

I see the girl turn around to face us her back facing the guys. Her swimsuit was a deep red color against her slightly tanned skin with her sunglasses above her head.

"I'm Danielle Monet, but you can just call me Danielle," said Danielle stretching her hand out for a handshake.

I decide to shake her hand out of the kindness of my heart, maybe become a familiar face around here.

"I'm Skylar and here is my friend Mikayla who you kinda ran into earlier," I said watching and waiting for her reaction.

"Don't mind her I know that this was completely an accident, no big deal okay" responded Mikayla nudging my side a little too hard and giving Danielle a gentle smile.

"Would you guys mind coming to our annual bonfire tomorrow night? It's a way to welcome new visitors to Cedar-view" said Danielle announces to the rest of us, we nod together as a form of agreement.

"Sure, that sounds fun and we could meet new people," I said agreeing with Danielle's plan for tomorrow night.

"Well, I should get back to my friends before they think I'm lost" Danielle paused. "It was nice meeting all of you!"

"Bye," We said in unison and gave her a friendly wave of goodbye.

Ezra quietly tip-toes behind me and throws me over his shoulders. I let a startled yelp while Justin and Mikayla laugh at my dire situation.

"Ezra, please let me go and put me down now!" I said desperately trying to hold in a laugh.

"Nope, but I hope you enjoy the water though" responded Ezra throwing me into the frigid water, while the sun's rays reflect their shadows in the oceanic blue waters.

I decide to go underwater and the temperature of the water remains the same, an icy feeling infuses itself inside my skin.

The others join into the water splashing each other and pulling each other under the water, coming up for some air and laughter erupts from their diaphragm.

This is one moment we will cherish for a lifetime, just being childish for one second before stepping into adulthood.

Though we've graduated high school we didn't want to grow up,  but now we don't have a choice anymore...