♡ chap_five.

❝ 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐎𝐍𝐄, 𝐓𝐖𝐎, 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄... ❞

⇢《 the sinking feeling of dread. 》⇠

Every day was the same.

Every day was the—

"Hey, Kazutora? What's with the zoned-out face?" said Chome, who was glancing at Kazutora while he was washing his hands in the bathroom sink. The two boys were in the middle of getting ready in the morning, and it just so happened that Chome and Kazutora got done around the same time.

Blinking, Kazutora gave a faint smile, "Oh, it's nothing. Just didn't wake up on the right side of the bed today."

"Hah?" Chome raised an eyebrow at his weird analogy, thinking that he was saying it the wrong way, "Isn't it supposed to be me telling you that?"

Kazutora paused, an airy quietness falling between them before they unanimously began laughing. "Yeah, maybe. But I suppose that proves my point."

"But it's—"

"Shhh. I don't care." Kazutora cut him off. Even though Y/N used the quote incorrectly, Kazutora did not feel awake enough to deal with the social consequences. "Anyway, it's almost time for roll."

Roll call. The time when every boy within their shared unit has to line up in an orderly fashion before some guard that no one likes calls out their name, for which each person has to respond to reaffirm that everyone is present and hasn't somehow broken out of the detention center. Honestly, it was laughable how teenagers actually tried to break free from this place. What are they gonna do as minors in Japan if they do get out? Live on the streets and eat dirt, because minors can't get jobs without their parent's consent in this country.

Yawning, Kazutora stretched his limbs a bit before heading out to get in a straight line, closely followed by Chome and eventually Chonbo. The two rarely left his side after Choji left, possessing an almost unnatural intuition that Kazutora wasn't all there in the head. But no one in this facility was, so they didn't understand where their senses were coming from. Maybe it was the brotherly bond that they formed throughout the period of spending time with each other. Who knows, really?

As roll began, Y/N paid just enough attention to respond to the officer once Kazutora's name was called. The everyday routine was exhausting, mentally taking a toll on the young teenagers who resided there. Well, it took the biggest hit on Y/N, who still could not for the life of them, view or treat the "people" of this world as living beings.

With each name being called, Y/N has by now already memorized each person's name, however, consciously they muted it. They couldn't comprehend the idea of them having the same blood and organs that a normal person possessed in Y/N's last life—they truly couldn't. Even with Chome and Chonbo, they felt so out of touch with their physical reality that even acknowledging their own names felt like a burden. But they did it anyway because despite their reluctance to accept this plane of reality, the strong emotions that Y/N felt for them were undeniable.

And Y/N hated that.

Hated how Choji was still on their mind, even after all of this time.

Hated how Chonbo and Chome would look at them with such familiar eyes, treating Y/N like they truly belonged—but Y/N wasn't Kazutora. All they could see was Kazutora.