Roxy & Gregory (pt. 10)

Começar do início

***////***

Gregory hid in a laundry basket, somewhere in the Utility Tunnels. The darkened hallways were crawling with the Weeping Angel-like endoskeletons; their beady, red eyes scanned the area, feverishly looking for him. The boy shuddered. The entertaining animatronics looked terrifying without their signature casings; it was unsettling to see them walk around, their joints clicking with their movements. Like Roxanne warned him, the endos cannot move as long as there in his line of sight. In theory, that should be easy since he just needs to have them in front of him; however, the sheer amount of them scared the living daylights out of Gregory. There were dozens of those things, lurking around.

A look in the cameras showed that even more were locked in rooms that he needed to access; others patrolled the tunnels in groups. Gregory really hoped he would never need to come down here; like Roxy said, this whole place would have been an absolute headache trying to navigate and avoid the creepy robots at the same time. The tension was further fueled by the fact that there were not many charging stations for his flashlight. He sparingly used his torch, unsure of when he would find the next station.

The young boy jumped off the laundry basket and quickly turned right, jumping behind some crates, and listening closely to the endos as they walked past him. Gregory has been following one endo in particular. It had one red eye and an empty eye socket. As opposed to having a gray framework like the other, this one was silver. Gregory remembered clearly it was the leader of the group that kidnapped Roxy and took her away. He's been chasing that one for a while now, hoping it would accidentally lead him to her. While the other endos walked aimlessly, this one showed intelligence; it checked hiding places, hid in the camera blind spots, and constantly looks over its shoulder. It was almost as if the thing was alive. And fortunately, Gregory could follow it.

Hiding and carefully sneaking behind it, Gregory was making some progress. The number of endos was increasing so that meant he was heading towards an important place that Vanny did not want him to find. Maybe it was where her base of operations... Actually, now that he thinks about it, the deeper he goes the tighter security gets. Whatever is causing the security breach is hiding in the deepest levels of the mall. Finally, a clue. Let's get Roxanne and get rid of the others before we go down there, thought Gregory. The boy continued following the silver endo, mindful of the others and trying to avoid as many doors as he could; he was tempted to go in, however, the sheer amount of sleeping endos deterred him. Who knows what those things would do if he went in there; for all he knew, they were faking to be deactivated.

Trying not to space out too much, Gregory watched as the endo walked through a set of double doors. After a few seconds, it walked out. Hmm... what's in there? Gregory thought. He watched as the endo walked away, slightly blending into the waves of metallic bodies. The boy sprinted towards the doors, and slowly opened and closed them behind him. A scream escaped his lips.

Roxanne (or what was left of her) was strapped to a red chair. Her body shattered. Almost all of her casing was ripped away, her hair was a rat's nest. Her red crop top and shorts were dirty and ripped in some areas. She had a massive hole in her chest, revealing the rib-like framework underneath. Worst of all, Roxy's eyes have been gauged out, leaving the wires to hang down her cheek. Roxy was crying, sniffing, and mumbling for help. Gregory moved away from his stupor and rushed to her. He pounded his fists on the glass door, "ROXANNE!"

Roxy's ears perked up, "Who's there?!" she gasped.

Gregory searched for a door handle or something to open the door. He found a computer next to the massive cylinder. The boy tapped some of the buttons, hoping something would happen; Gregory looked behind the computer, then found one of those Freddy buttons. He punched it and the glass doors slid open. Roxanne struggled against her bindings and started snarling. Gregory raised his hands, "It's me! Gregory!" he shouted.

Roxanne relaxed, "Oh, thank god. Are you okay?"

Gregory started undoing the ropes. "Forget about me! What happened to your face? Where are your eyes?!" he gasped.

"...I don't want to talk about it," she replied. "B-but don't worry! I'm still beautiful. I just need a little work done."

Gregory wrung his hands, "How do I do that?"

With her free hand, Roxanne sat up. She pawed the air, seemingly looking for something. Gregory gently grabbed her wrist, trying not to cringe at the cold bare metal; this was basically the equivalent of holding a human bone. The image in his mind was unhelpful. Roxy put a hand on his head. "O-on the right, there should be a big, red box. Inside, you'll find a drawer with new eyes; in the one below it, there should be tiny metal cubes with wires. Those are the voice boxes."

Gregory muttered her instructions under his breath, "Okay. Then, how do I replace the broken ones?"

"Dread Unit will give you instructions. Just press the ocular and voice upgrade on the monitor."

Gregory gently patted her hand, then dashed to meet her demands. He found the red box and quickly found the parts; he ignored the creepy feeling and grabbed a pair of new eyes, making sure they were Roxy's iconic amber color. Then, he opened the drawer below him and grabbed a voice box. Gregory pressed the respective menus on the monitor and walked into the cylinder; eerily, the doors closed behind him. A voice spoke through overhead speakers. "In case of an emergency, the protective cylinder will protect important service personnel outside of the protective cylinder. Deactivating animatronic safety protocols now. It is recommended that no mistakes are made during the procedure."

Gregory whimpered, "Wh-what does that mean?" he asked.

"Be very careful. I- I don't feel like myself," said Roxanne in a monotone voice.

Machinery overhead whirred and lowered down. A device with four, colorful buttons appeared in front of Gregory. The boy took a deep breath, then listened very carefully to the Dread Unit's instructions.

***////***

After several terrifying minutes, Gregory managed to fully replace Roxy's eyes and voice box. The repair system seemed interesting enough; actually, it felt like a little game of Simon Says. However, it was terrifying that he couldn't mess up. It was scary. Gregory had nearly missed several times, and each time he could feel his heart crawl up to his throat. But it was all worth it in the end.

Roxanne stood outside the protective cylinder, giggling and sashaying her hair. Her voluminous mane of ivory was back to normal, her amber eyes glowed brighter than ever. The repair systems managed to mend her clothes and fix her broken casing. No scars or scrapes blemished her metallic skin; she was almost brand new. Gregory hugged her leg, "You're okay, now!" he said.

Roxanne picked him up. "No thanks to you," she said, nuzzling her snout against his face.

Gregory giggled, then hid in her hair, feeling the familiar warmth and security. Roxanne stretched her joints, "All right. We have to make a pit stop to the kitchen," she announced.

"Why?"

"Well, if we're going to take down Chica, we're gonna need some bait."