Roots - Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

“Wow, who was he?” I asked as I started to sit across from him at one of the library tables.

“Well, some say he was a witchdoctor, but I think he was just an advisor that got bad advice from others.” He said with a smile as he began. “You see the some history books actually blame my great grandfather for starting the Revolution in Russia all those years ago.” He said as he finally found the page he was looking for.

“Wait, so people say that your family started the Russian Revolution? Why?” I asked curiously.  How could his family have been the root of the Revolution?  What happened? Did that mean he was the descendant of the man who caused my family to be killed? I had so many thoughts and questions in my head.

Mr. Poloski took a deep breath as he started reading from the book in his fluent Russian then translated it for me:

Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin was a Russian mystic who is perceived as having influenced the latter days of the Russian Emperor Nicholas II, his wife Alexandra, and their only son Alexei. Rasputin had often been called the "Mad Monk",while others considered him a religious pilgrim and even an Elder, a title usually reserved for monk-confessors, believing him to be a psychic and faith healer.  It has been argued that Rasputin helped to discredit the tsarist government, leading to the fall of the Romanov dynasty, in 1917. Contemporary opinions saw Rasputin variously as a saintly mystic, visionary, healer and prophet or, on the contrary, as a debauched religious charlatan. There has been much uncertainty over Rasputin's life and influence as accounts of his life have often been based on dubious memoirs, hearsay and legend…Rasputin's daughter, Maria Rasputin (Matryona Rasputina) (1898–1977), immigrated to France after the October Revolution, and then to the U.S. There she worked as a dancer and then a tiger-trainer in a circus. She left memoirs about her father, wherein she painted an almost saintly picture of him, insisting that most of the negative stories were based on slander and the misinterpretations of facts by his enemies…”

“That’s the summary of him at least.” Mr. Poloski said as he leaned back, taking off his glasses to clean them off before putting them back on.  I just looked at him and then back down at the Russian words he had just read to me.  Was it really possible that the man sitting across from me was the descendant of the man who betrayed my family and sent them to their deaths? I ask myself and process it in my mind.

“Lisa, I know you are kind of shocked with all this knowledge, between just finding who your great grandfather is and now knowing who I’m related to.  However, I want you to know that we aren’t our great grandfathers.  We are who we choose to be.  I’m sure if everyone looks back into their past family history they will discover someone who did wrong, someone that makes us feel ashamed, but it’s in the past.  We can only move forward, and become better people.” He said with small smile as he glanced down at my ring before returning his gaze to me.

“Lisa, I didn’t notice before, but that is a fascinating ring that you have.  Is it new?” He asked suspiciously.

Thankfully, before I could respond the bell rang loudly. Finally, a perfect time to leave this awkward situation, and to think all I wanted was to find out more about the Russian Revolution, not hear about Mr. Poloski’s horrible great grandfather and for him to be asking me about my ring, I thought to myself.

“Lisa, before you leave for lunch, I want to let you know you can trust me with anything.  If you want me to know anything that may help you find out who you really are.  All you have to do is ask.  You’d be surprised at how much I do know about Russia.  This is how I am different from my great grandfather, when I swear to protect someone, I really do mean it.  Lisa, if you ever need anything or any help, I will be here for you.”  He said with an intense gaze.  Could Mr. Poloski, already know who I am?  Why was he telling me this?  Was I willing to go against my Nunna, in order to find out more about our family?  Was I willing to trust Mr. Poloski?  So many questions continued to filled my head. 

“Um, thank you, I will.” I said softly, as I walked off towards Eric who was giving me an impatient, hungry look.  As I glanced back one more time before exiting the library, I caught the eyes of Mr. Poloski staring at me for a brief moment before he glanced back down at his book.  Something began to make me wonder, who exactly is my World History teacher, Mr. Poloski?

I had those same thoughts throughout the entire weekend.  Who exactly is Mr. Poloski?  I know who he’s related to, however, why is he so interested in me and my family?  What was with that last statement before I left the library on Friday? Yet the one question that bothered me the most was if Mr. Poloski knew the truth about my family, would it be so dangerous? I asked myself as I changed into my comfy clothes waiting for my mother to get back any minute from her business trip.

______________________________________

Author's Note:  Hey Yall, I hope you enjoyed Reading!  Please take a moment to click the orange VOTE button that's on the left hand side of the screen.  Thanks so much for all your support.