Chapter 7: A Hearth's Warming Tail

Start from the beginning

Cheerful Mare: Happy Hearth's Warming, dear. Would you be so kind as to donate to all the less fortunate ponyfolk that can't celebrate this gracious holiday with us? A good deed can come full circle, you know.

The mare winked at me after that last sentence. Now, in these days, I wasn't particularly welcoming of strangers, but I knew I'd have too much shame to be cold to her, so. . .I forced a smile.

Young Starlight Glimmer: *nervous laugh* U-Uh, normally I-I would. . . but I don't have any bits on me at the moment. I-I just used them to get the stuff that I'm holding currently.

Cheerful Mare: *smiles* That's perfectly okay! I'm sure that whoever you're giving all that pleasant stuff to will be happy that you got it for them!

Young Starlight Glimmer: (Yeah. . . me. . . but for whatever reason. . . I don't feel any happier. . .)

Cheerful Mare: Anywho, I hope I didn't waste your time! Have a Happy Hearth's Warming!

Young Starlight Glimmer: Ehe. . . Thanks. . . *mumbles* I guess. . .

I walked away from her as the mare continued to solicit her service around the area. Sort of made me leave with a gag. Truth be told, I did have some bits on me, but. . .I didn't feel like giving them away. Yeah, not really the friendliest pony around, but somehow all those ponies managed to put up with it.

I was hoping I'd get home after that, but. . .I was met with a snowball hitting me square in the face. My aggravated scowl melted the snow across my eyes as I searched for the snowball's origin. Shortly, I saw a couple of foals laughing at me with a unicorn filly holding another snowball with her magic. I was still kinda mad, but I figured I could spare a few moments to penetrate these jerks.

However, as soon as I levitated up a snowball. . . I was hit in the back of the head by another one. I turned around only to discover another group of foals doing the same thing. I wasn't sure what was going on, but after a few glances between the two groups of foals, it hit me. . .I was standing in the middle of a snowball war.

Young Starlight Glimmer: (Oh no. . .)

Before I could react, I was pelted by a bunch of snowballs, causing me to drop all my stuff. Within seconds, I was a covered in snow, and an Earth pony colt then walks by carrying a picnic basket with him. He looked up at my buried figure and an idea popped in his head. He placed his picnic basket down, and then dug inside to place a couple of raisins where my eyes were. . . and then placing a carrot where my nose was.

He claps his forelegs together in joy before trotting off and the moment he did, I used my horn to melt all of the snow that was on me. I was livid with a wet mane from the melted snow. I shake my head to get my mane properly back in place and dust some snow off of my back. I levitated my stuff back up, dusting the snow off of that too, and continued on home.

Once I reached the front porch. . . I noticed the front steps buried in snow, so there was no way for me to go in safely. While I could just teleport in, I didn't want to do that with all of the delicate stuff that I was carrying. Conveniently, there was a shovel right beside the porch. I pick it up with a deadpanned frown and dig all of the snow off of the stairs and door. It was like Celestia knew how I was feeling and wanted me to stay outside.

Finally, I was able to walk inside of my home and the first thing that I did when I walked in was sit on a couch near the windows. I decided to pull out one of the books I carried back with me, and surprise, surprise, it was an enchantment book. . . from it's contents it had something about Cutie Marks. . . I'm sure you know where this is going, right?

As I open the book, lit a candle, and took a sip of hot cocoa to peacefully read in pure silence, my dad apparently had heard me come inside as he peeks his head to see where I was. He smiles at me before trotting on over to me.