Chapter 3: The Gift of Maud Pie

Start from the beginning

All four eyes turn toward street level and lock onto her sister Maud, standing stolidly and solidly on the sidewalk to gaze back up at them. Pinkie then hops down the steps forming each letter with her body.

Pinkie Pie: M-A-U-D! You know what that spells?

Maud Pie: It spells Maud.

Pinkie cranks off a big squeaky grin as she pulls out her trusty party cannon as its barrel is pointed skyward, and Pinkie sets off a blast of confetti and streamers that catches every equine in the vicinity off guard. Every one, that is, except for her older sister who keeps her usual deadpanned look.

Pinkie Pie: Maud, Maud, Maud! Yay!

She touches down and pulls Rarity, (Y/N), and Maud into a hug. Her goofy grin is met by a hesitant one from Rarity, a weak smile from (Y/N), and not a flicker from Maud.

(Y/N): It has definitely been a while since Hearth's Warming Eve. Glad we get to see each other again, Maud. So, uh, discover any new rocks lately?

Maud Pie: No. . .

(Y/N): Oh. . .

Maud Pie: I've looked through about 2 miles of a cave the other day and only found a bunch of granite connected to a bunch of sandstone and shale, both of which are weak sedimentary rocks that usually shatter easily, though the second one can be used to make oil which is easily combustible with flint. A common sedimentary cryptocrystalline mineral related to quartz that can easily start fires and-

(Y/N): O-Okay, okay. You found a lot of common rocks that didn't seem that interesting to you. Fair enough.

Pinkie Pie: One best friend, one best sister, one best boyfriend, AND one Pinkie Pie!! Today is already going to be one exciting day because there will only one today! And it will not only be the best today, but also the best Pie sister tradition yet this year! *squee*

She then quickly hops along the sidewalks as the other three look at each other before the male just smirks before he gestures and the other three just follow right behind the pink party pony as while she may be exaggerating, she wasn't wrong on today going to be really fun.

The four ponies were now walking their way down the sidewalk further into the city as Rarity strikes up some conversation.

Rarity: Oh, you Pie sisters have just about the sweetest family traditions! Every year, you set aside a special day to spend with each of your sisters?

Pinkie Pie: Yep! I do separate trips with each one!

(Y/N): Awesome, but. . . why pick Manehattan though? Not that it's a bad choice for anypony, but I didn't think this would be the first place on your mind for a gift exchange with your sisters, Pinks.

Pinkie Pie: Oh, don't be silly, silly. Where's the fun in picking the same location every year? Spoiler alert: It's missing the "super" in that fun! It's super fun when we pick a different location every year! We see the sights all day and then swap gifts at sunset! And since Maud's getting her rocktorate nearby, we figured this would be the perfect spot for PSSSD!

(Y/N): *whispers* Oh? In that case, what's the big secret?

Pinkie Pie: Huh?

Rarity: You just said 'pssst'.