Draw Our Future Together

It was a media frenzy

There was a couple in a K-Pop group. A gay couple. An OUT couple. An ENGAGED couple.

At first, the Korean media had no idea what to do with it. Or if they SHOULD do something with it. After all, even if accepted by many, Koreans were still widely conservative and things like that just aren't done. They aren't discussed. Not to mention that idols are supposed to be perfect.

It's like we're just supposed to be a bunch of dolls.

But just as everyone in Korea was trying to figure out how to manage, a video was making its way around the United States.

And the rainbow flags were flying for us.

"How do you think the video got out?" a reporter asked us, "After all, the venue had a no cell phones or cameras policy. Do you think it was a member of your staff?"

"It doesn't really matter," I said, "It's good that it got out because I'm not sure anyone knew how to tell our story here. It seems as though you guys needed a little guidance."

The reporter turned red and wrote down a note.

"Well," she continued, "how do you feel about being the new representation of LGBTQ+ idol culture?"

I sat for a moment to think...

_______________________________

"We aren't," I answered. I was really tired. I couldn't tell you how many interviews we've done in the last two days. How many pictures have been taken of the blingy ring on my finger.

"I'm sorry?" the reporter asked.

"I said, 'we aren't'," I reiterated.

"No, Jake, I heard what you said," the reporter answered, "it's just that...well, I'm sorry - but you ARE. Whether you want to be or not. Because it's not just about fan service now, is it? The world will genuinely wonder whether these cute little ships are actually sailing."

Then she let out a little chuckle.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Well, it's just that...you guys weren't even a ship. Not an obvious one. Most Enhypen fans say SunSun or SunKi or JayWon or even JakeHoon. One almost never hears -"

________________________________

"HeeJake," I interrupted her, "and that was my fault. I was so worried about losing my dream that I put myself at risk of losing Jake. I really prided myself on hiding us from the media. The truth is that we've been together since university. Every step of the way. There were days I feared our relationship could ruin my dream. Now, I know that our relationship is part of my dream."

"That's really sweet, Heeseung," the reporter said, "and I know it will mean a lot to a lot of people. What about your family? I understand that your father hasn't really taken it well."