Chapter 3 - Law Breakers

Izzy's POV
The next day at school, Ariel and Rusty tell me about a movie they're going to see tonight. They also tell me that they might dance tonight too.

"Wait. Dancing? Isn't that illegal?" I ask. Ariel shrugs.

"So? Rules like that are meant to be broken," she says. I nod.

"I guess so," I reply. Rusty smiles.

"Don't worry about it. Now I don't break laws very often, but the dancing one is just plain stupid." Rusty adds. I laugh.

"Ok Rusty. I'll come along,"

*

In the evening, Ren drives us to the diner where we're meeting up with everyone.

When we get to the diner, Willard pulls up in his truck at the same time. He joins Ren and I as we walk into the diner. Willard then walks over to Woody and gives him a bro hug.

"Hey what's up, man?" He says. Then he looks over at Ren and I. "You guys hungry?"

"What do they have?" I ask. Woody shrugs.

"Well we got hamburgers, hotdogs, nachos..."

"Frito pie all the way!" Rusty shouts, holding out what looks to be nachos.

I reach over and grab a chip off the top and take a bite. It's not bad. It just tastes like nachos which I thought it would. As Willard grabs a jalapeño off the top, Rusty looks over at him and frowns.

"Hey, get your fingers out of my pie," Rusty snaps. Willard frowns as Ren grabs a chip off the paper tray.

"What about him? You don't know where his fingers have been," Willard argues.

Willard gets really close to Rusty's face when he says this and I can feel my stomach doing flip flops. I almost feel jealous and I don't know why. I barely know Willard.

Willard then grabs a handful of the chips and stuffs them in his mouth. Rusty looks at me and wrinkles her nose.

"Boys are so gross," she mutters. I laugh.

"Ain't that the truth," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Woody, check the door. Is the cop still here?" A man who works at the diner asks. Woody sticks his head out the door.

"Five-O's getting a move on," He replies. "What you got for me today, Uncle Claude?"

The man behind the counter holds up a CD.

"David Banner," he says, handing it to Woody. "It's a bootleg. Don't go too crazy. As soon as the cops pull up, I'm pulling the plug. I can't get a fine and you can't get another ticket,"

"Wait. You got a ticket for dancing?" Ren asks.

"Two tickets actually. One more and he's off the football team," Woody's girlfriend replies with a smile.

We all walk out of the diner and the music begins to play. I stand off to the side and watch everyone start dancing.

"You want to dance with me?" I ask, looking over at Willard. Willard shakes his head.

"I'm not much of a dancer," He says. I shrug.

"Suit yourself,"

I join my brother and the two of us start dancing together.

Willard's POV
I lean up against my truck and watch as Izzy dances with her brother. As Ariel walks over to Ren, Izzy backs away until she is next to me.

"How come you don't dance, Willard?" She asks. I blush.

"I don't know how to dance," I say. Izzy looks at me and shrugs.

"That's okay. Maybe Ren and I can teach you sometime,"

I smile. Normally, I don't admit that I can't dance to anyone, but, with Izzy, I feel comfortable telling her.

Izzy begins to clap her hands and cheer for her brother as he shows off. Ren does a flip off a pickup truck, making the emergency alarm go off. The owner of the truck presses the lock button to stop the alarm.

Ren dances over to Ariel and gets really close to her. I can see Chuck out of the corner of my eye and he has a jealous look on his face.

When Ren notices how jealous Chuck looks, he walks away from Ariel in annoyance.

Suddenly, the music stops and the PA system springs to life.

"Attention, attention! Ariel Moore, please come into the diner. Your father is here,"

As Ariel walks over to the diner, a bunch of Bomont students laugh and joke.

"Daddy gonna take her out to the woodshed," I say. Izzy looks over at me and frowns.

"What does that mean?"

"It means that she's in some deep crap," I reply. Izzy bites her lip.

"Her dad's gonna be so mad at her," she mutters. I shrug.

"Yeah. She's the preacher's daughter. If anyone's gonna get in trouble for dancin,' it's her."

"Hey. Since the dancin's over, you wanna come over to my house and hang out for a bit?" Rusty asks out of nowhere. Izzy shrugs.

"Sure. Ren? Willard? You guys want to come along?"

"Nah. I think I'm going to go home. I've still got a little homework to do," Ren answers. Izzy frowns.

"But, Ren, you're my ride home," She says.

"I can take you home, Izzy." I say with a smile. Izzy smiles.

"Thanks Willard,"

Izzy's POV
At Rusty's house, she teaches Willard and I some games that her family plays with the playing cards. They are really fun and we enjoy playing them for a while.

Around nine o'clock, Willard offers to take me home since we have school tomorrow. On the way home, I decide to make conversation with him.

"I really appreciate you taking me home, Willard." I say with a smile. Willard shrugs.

"Don't mention it. I figure I should be the one to take my friend's sister home for him,"

"Aren't I your friend too?" I ask. Willard nods.

"Well, sure, but I'm doin' a favor for Ren too. You're a cool girl, Izzy. I like hangin' out with you," he explains. My cheeks start to burn red and I look away to hide it.

Willard pulls into my aunt and uncle's driveway and I unbuckle my seatbelt. I look over at him and smile.

"Thank you for bringing me home. I'll see tomorrow," I say before getting out of the truck and waving goodbye to Willard. He waves back to me before pulling out of the driveway.

I go to Ren and I's room to find Ren laying on his bed. When he sees me, he smiles.

"Have a good time at Rusty's?" He asks. I nod.

"Yeah. We played some cards games and then Willard drove me home. Willard's such a sweet guy, Ren."

I shut my mouth as soon as I say those words. Ren has a smirk on his face.

"Do you like Willard, Izzy?" Ren asks. I shake my head.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Ren."

"I reckon you do, little lady." Ren says in a fake southern accent, pretending to be Willard. I laugh and my cheeks begin to turn red with embarrassment.

"Ok. Maybe I do like Willard, but please don't tell him that." I reply. Ren nods.

"I won't,"

"Promise you won't?" I ask, sticking my pinky finger out for Ren to make a pinky promise. Ren smiles as he interlocks his pinky finger with mine.

"I promise,"