vi. blood of the quill

Start from the beginning

Raya made her decision quickly.

Dear Remus,

How's everything going with you back at the house? Please tell me the fights have gone down.

First week back at Hogwarts, and it's... alright, I guess. The new DADA teacher's a bitch. Her name's Umbridge, and she's always treating us like we're five. She gave me detention on a Saturday for using a pen. A pen?! Can you believe that? And she's not even letting us use the spells. It's all gonna be theory this year. I think I'm actually going to have a mental breakdown soon.

The rest of my classes are alright, but there's lots of work to do. I brewed the Draught of Living Death quite nicely in my first Potions class back. Even Snape looked impressed. We're starting non-verbal and wandless magic in the other classes as well, and it's getting a little difficult. I'm thinking of dropping Ancient Runes, mostly because it doesn't really lead to anything I wanna do. Not that I even have an idea of what I want to do. Send me career recommendations, I'm desperate.

I was planning on hosting Quidditch tryouts this Friday, but Gryffindor stole the Pitch. I've got it booked out for Monday evening, and all of my friends are going around, spreading the news. I've already written to Austen and Roger, who'd both been my Captain at one point, and they've sent me quite a large list of drills and things to watch for. It's making me a little more nervous than I was when I first got the Captaincy.

Anyways, I hope you're alright. Never thought I'd say this, but I miss the chaos of the house now that I'm back at school. Be nice to Kreacher.

Love,
Raya : )

She read over the finished letter, placing it to the side. Writing out a similar one for Tonks, she placed that to the side as well. She pocketed all the letters, waving to Meredith before heading to the Owlery. After tying the letters off to Hoot, she let him go, promising large amounts of bacon.

Raya walked past the Quidditch Pitch, scowling slightly at the sight of the Gryffindor Team hosting tryouts. Angelina Johnson, the Captain, who was a year ahead of Raya, had managed to book the field for their tryouts. Raya wanted the team up and running as soon as possible, considering players would probably be new and need as much training time as possible.

"Why do you look like you're plotting the murder of every single person on that field?"

Raya rolled her eyes, turning away from the Quidditch Pitch as Kayse approached her.

"If I was plotting murder," she responded, "I'd be smart enough not to admit it where someone could hear me."

Kayse smiled, kissing the top of her head. Raya laced their fingers together, the two of them beginning an aimless stroll across the school grounds.

"I thought you had Divination right now," Raya raised a brow. 

"Well, I just talked to Snape, and dropped Divination," he told her. "I'm thinking of dropping Care of Magical Creatures too, but I'm not sure yet."

"You dropped Divination?" Raya raised a brow. "Well, I'm not entirely against that. Not a big fan of telling my future."

"Says the girl who's birth was depicted by a prophecy," Kayse snorted.

Raya swatted her arm, laughing as he only pulled her closer. The two had made it near the edge of the green, sitting against a tree.

"I sent a letter to Remus and Tonks," Raya told him, leaning against his chest. "Just updating them on life, asking how things are going with them."

"You tell them about Umbridge?" Kayse asked.

"Yeah," Raya nodded. "Told them about how she gave me detention for using a damn pen. I don't like that lady. And, it's on a Saturday! She's not being very fun."