"Here you are!" I exclaim, setting their trays down then rushing back to grab another basket, this time filled with curly fries.

For the next thirty minutes or so, I'm speed-walking all over the place. I'm pretty sure I've given the wrong food to a few tables, but oh well. Food is food, and Dan's Diner is delicious so whatever you get is amazeballs.

Oh no.

What if I gave someone fries who is allergic to fries.

I've done it. I've killed someone.

"Three shakes to Table Nine," Frannie knocks on the counter to get my attention, telling me her table's order from memory. "Two vanilla with whipped cream and cherries, one with strawberry drizzle and the other with chocolate drizzle; one mint shake with no toppings."

She's off to her next customers instantly.

How does she memorize all that? Especially with all the other orders she's taken. She's definitely supernatural.

I don't even think I can memorize an order of fries with ketchup. I'd end up bringing them mustard.

I quickly start on the first shake, tongue poking out so I can focus. Vanilla, whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, cherry on top. I slide the glass to the side and work on the second shake. Vanilla, whipped cream, strawberry drizzle, cherry on top. That glass gets slid into the former while I start the last shake, which doesn't take me long since it is just mint.

I stab striped straws into each right when Frannie arrives to take them to her table. She checks it over before grabbing it, just in case I messed something up. To my surprise, she deems it good and is off.

Phew! I can't believe I got that all right.

Silverware clinks all around me while I work on getting through rush hour. It's almost seven, which means that the busyness should die down pretty soon. Still, there's only about two open tables.

Frannie comes up to the bar again, blowing a short strand of hair out of her face. "I'm not dealing with the bullshit at Table One, the Karen's are out of control. You got this one, babe." She moves behind the counter, already asking a seated woman what she'd like to order.

Okay. I got this. Be nice, and the Karen's will be nice.

I make my way to Table One to find three older woman with short haircuts and jewelry galore. "Welcome to Dan's Diner! I'm Athalia and I will be your server tonight—"

"Finally," one of them mumbles. She says to me, "You know, we've been waiting here for—" she checks the silver watch on her wrist, all but fuming, "—nearly eight minutes now without even being asked what we'd like to drink."

"I'm sorry about that, miss," I smile at her. "What would you like to drink?"

"We would all like sparkling water," the same woman orders for the rest of them.

Oh, boy. She's not gonna like this.

"I apologize," i start, "but we don't have sparkling water here."

"Like hell you don't," a different one snaps. She wears fat pearl earrings, and she sneers at me. "I'm sure you'll find some in the back."

"Actually, miss, whatever we have in the back can be found on the menu. If you don't see sparkling water on the menu, then I'm afraid you cannot order it."

The third woman leans over, loudly whispering, "What a bitch."

I pretend not to hear that. "Okay, I'll be back with waters."

I shuffle through tables and back to the counter, where I let out a breathe. Holy Hannah, I did not think I would be able to survive that one.

Frannie passes me and smiles at me gratefully before heading into the kitchen. Yeah, she's lucky I handled that so well. Dan's Diner is bound to get the best employee ratings ever 'cause of me!