⁰¹⁴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴜʀsᴇᴅ sʜɪғᴛ.

𝟷𝟺. [𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚏𝚝.]

𝚏𝚕𝚘𝚛𝚊 𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚒𝚌𝚎

-

Flora was having a good shift. Emphasis on the past tense.

But somewhere around the halfway mark, Coraline showed up. She, of course, was not the problem. Flora doesn't really know her, but she seems nice and hasn't given a reason for her to not like her. The problem was who was sitting with her — fucking Karl Jacobs.

She knows he probably didn't do it on purpose, it's the only library in town and it's not exactly like he ever bothered to memorize her work schedule, but she can't help feeling a little targeted as she sorts books back onto the shelves.

They're studying, or at least trying to, but they keep whispering back and forth. Cora looks like she's dying, trying to hold back her laugh. Flora's getting the intense urge to throw a book at their heads.

Flora returns to the info desk and pulls out her book to read while the library's still empty. They're at a table far enough from her that she can't hear what they're whispering, but they're seated so Cora's back is to her, and Karl's facing her. So naturally, they keep making eye contact. Fucking lovely.

She catches him glaring at her a few times, even though if anyone should be mad about their breakup it's her. Karl's the one who screwed up. Karl's the one who never made time for her.

She's ready to classify it as the worst shift she's ever worked when Wilbur shows up.

And Wilbur.

When she sees him push through the doors, every though of Karl and Cora and heartbreak just melts away.

He grins when he sees her at the desk, "Wasn't sure you'd be working tonight, last Tuesday you weren't even though you normally are," Flora smiles.

He memorized her schedule. He memorized her fucking schedule.

"Glad you came," She says, picking up the book he slides onto the desk. "Returning or renewing?"

He rolls his eyes. "Returning. I'm disappointed you even thought I wouldn't finish it right away, you know me better than that,"

She laughs and scans the book. "I have to ask everyone,"

"And I though I was special," He scoffs. "Got any book recs?"

She grins. "I have just the one," She reaches under the desk and pulls it out. So what if she already had it ready, using her break time earlier to browse through ones she knew he would like? Everytime he stops by, he asks for a new recommendation anyway, so can it really hurt to be prepared?

He picks up the book and flips to the inside cover. "Kerouac, huh?"

She shrugs. "You'll like it,"

He hums, and lets himself behind the desk and into the extra chair.

He looks confused, staring at Karl and Cora. Karl's unabashedly glaring right back. "Is that- is that Karl?" He's squinting a little bit like he can't believe Karl's really there. Flora can't believe it either, to be honest.

Flora sighs. Even distractions can't last forever, she supposes. "Unfortunately."

Karl's moved next to Cora, and now he's pointing something out in the textbook. Karl still makes sure to glance over his shoulder to send daggers at the duo.

"Who's the girl? Are they dating?" Wilbur asks, craning his neck to see her better.

Flora exhales and shakes her head. "Her name's Coraline, and God, I hope not, she looks sweet,"

Wilbur laughs. "You're done at seven, right?" Flora looks confused, but nods. "Good. I'll walk you home."

She melts at that. 

-

[𝟶𝟷.𝟶𝟺.𝟸𝟹]