Portraits

"Wake up Evil," Lady Lesso's voice roared through the speakers, waking me from my slumber. "You will be dismissed from all classes today because tonight is the night of the first annual Never's Ball, but that's no excuse to slouch." My eyes coated in a thick layer of sleep, I yawned and rolled around. "GET UP," Lady Lesso finished, making the speakers whine and certainly woke everyone up. "Oh god," I groaned as I covered my head with a pillow.

During our well-deserved day off, I finally had some time to read and write a letter to my mother to let her know how I'm doing. I decided to take a walk through the school in hopes of discovering something exciting. There had to be something here somewhere.

I wandered through a hall, walls covered with framed portraits of past Evil. Those who had succeeded, those who had made it into their own fairytale. I knew that I would too. I stopped by my mother's picture. Malefika of the Moors. Her portrait was squaky clean, and was probably the one cleaned most frequently. I payed my respects, and resumed my walk.

The hall got narrower and darker as I went on. Cobwebs and dust gathering in every possible place. This framed pictures started to get fainter and more destroyed. It looked like no one had cleaned there since they were hung. Then, the paintings stopped and there was only a naked wall. The gloomy wallpaper had started peeling off and the floors looked tired.

I reached the end of the hall, pitch black. No windows were around to help in even a small speck of light. I lifted my finger, and my fingerglow appeared, illuminating the dead end with it's shallow green light.

At the wall, atwo other portraits stood one behind the other, covered up with a white cloth. I dragged the cloth off them, making dust fly everywhere. A golden picture frame was shown, along with the portrait of a girl. Her hair was brown, and her eyes yellow. She looked like.. my mother, but she was.. oddly younger. Her features weren't as elegant as they looked in her other portrait. She looked.. Good.

My eyes made their way down to her name. Michelle Beauty of the Moors.. what? Who is Michelle? Her name is Malefika.. not Michelle. The other portrait had to have something to do with this. I moved away from my mother's frame and revealed the other one. A blonde girl, about the same age as my mother. Her eyes blue, and her features alomost the same as my mother's. My breath shaking, my eyes moved down to her name. Leah Beauty of.. the Moors

My mother had a sister? And she's Queen of the Moors? Sleeping Beauty's mother? No, no. I backed up from the pictures, not caring to cover them back up. I was stirred and confused, but most of all, shocked.

I swung open the door to room 66 and collapsed on my chair. I put my hands in my head, trying to calm myself. "What's going on? Did someone get murdered?" Hester asked, stirred. "No, it's-" I tried, but was cut off by my own breath. I closed my eyes and my breath calmed. "I found my mother's portrait, a portrait she has never shown me.." I begun explaining my discovery.

"So you're.. royal?" Anadil asked. "And related to Beatrix?" Hester snarled.