24 - isabella

Y/N'S POV

More than anything, I feel confused. I am hurt that Clay couldn't understand. I feel like I might have judged him too quickly, but even if he did act in momentary anger, it was still a bad reaction and I had to get out of there. 

I drive back to my house despite the chance of Rachel showing up. I need to be somewhere familiar right now and unfortunately, my best option was just compromised. I don't bring my bags inside with me. I barely make it in the door by myself before falling to the ground in tears. I can barely breathe as the sobs rack my body. Hysteria seems to take over as I sit, collapsed just inside my front door, gasping for air between sobs. 

A knock sounds on my door right beside me and I hear a familiar, "Y/n?" It's Isabella, of course. I try to croak a response, but no words form in the noise that escapes me. "I'm coming in, okay dear?" I move out of the way of the door instead of trying to respond again.

When Isabella sees me, she immediately drops to the floor beside me and holds me in her arms. This action alone sends another wave of tears streaming down my face. She just holds me in silence until the tears slow and I can finally breathe again. 

"Tell me what happened, honey," she whispers, pushing my hair back from my face. I try to find some way to explain it without telling her everything, but I just give up and start with what happened at the Christmas party. She listens without interjection as I tell her about agreeing to stay with Clay and realizing that Rachel had been in my house. She bites her lip regretfully when I say that I agreed to meet with Rachel to discuss. I recall as much of my nightmare as possible, feeling tears creep up into my eyes once again as I remember Clay's disappointed face. 

I try to explain exactly what happened at the coffee shop, but even though it was only hours ago, it feels like it's been days. Then is the hardest part where I try to explain what happened with Clay. She gives my hand a reassuring squeeze when she hears me hesitate.

"Isabella, I just didn't expect that from him," I finish, wiping my tears with the heel of my hand. She shakes her head, biting her lip again.

"I love my son dearly and I truly believe that he is a good person, but sometimes he gets ahead of himself. He just can't control himself sometimes and it's often his greatest downfall." I nod. "Is it alright if I talk to him about it?"

"Oh, I don't want you to bother yourself with it, Isabella. I'll talk to him. I just need a little while to process it all."

"I don't doubt that you can handle it for even a moment. But I think hearing from me may help him put it in perspective a little better. I think he doesn't understand because he doesn't want to accept that you went through that or that anyone can go through that."

"Maybe that would help. I don't know, Isabella, I just feel so caught off guard by the whole thing. Today has been such a long day and I'm exhausted."

"You should get some sleep, dear. Your brain needs a rest. Only, I hate to agree with Clay right now, but it really isn't safe for you to be here right now. Even if Rachel agreed to stay away for two weeks, there's no guarantee she won't come here if she's been visiting freely as it seems."

"I can't go back to his house. And Samantha still lives in the same apartment with her sister. There's no way I can go back there right now."

"No, I would never expect you to do either of those things. Come and stay at my house. I'm sure Maisie will be happy to have you and you can stay in Clay or Lilah's old room."

"I really don't want to impede-" I start, but she shakes her head. 

"It's nothing at all. Just come over whenever you're ready and you can just settle right in and get some sleep." I nod and thank her. She helps me up, then gives me a quick hug goodbye before she leaves for her own house.