"Right.. right! Okay..?"

"You dont get it do you?" She queries.

I shake my head, laughing and she begins to explain again.

"If she questions about you..not arriving yet either.. Say that you got caught up with unpacking or something."

"Alright." I laugh.
"Lets do this."

Rory dials in the number and i wait for her to pick up.

"Rory? Hi!"

"Hey Lane! I was wondering why you didnt make it yet?"

"Rory? Is this you?"

"Yeah? Its me.. Rory..? What do you mean?" I try my best to act.

"Okay.. what is this?"

"What do you mean? Im myself.."

"Are you the new girl... um Y/n was it?"

"Y/n? No Y/n, was supposed to come over too, remember? She hasnt shown yet and I was wondering where you were."

"Well, im still helping my mother with some of the work but i should be done soon.. Rory.."

"Sounds good! Ill call Y/n too!"

"Okay, ill see you then. It should be ten minutes."

"Alrighty, see you." She hangs up the phone and i burst into laughter just looking at Rory.

"She didn't believe a second of it!" I say unable to hold in my laughter.

"No! But you're a really good actor! I wouldve believed you if i was Lane."

"Be serious.." i eye her in disbelief.

"Im being serious! Youre really good!" She disagrees excitedly.

"Well i do want to go to school to study film."  I add on.

"Really?? Thats great!" She pats my shoulder.

"Yes! It is, im just so curious and have so many questions about the major, but i dont know who to ask."

"Hmm.. well.. i honestly have no idea. I dont know anyones who's pursuing or pursues film. Sorry, Y/n."

"No thats totally fine. No need to be sorry."

A knock sounds the door.

"Its me, Lane!"

My eyes lighten up.
"Should i go hide?" I whisper.

"Sure yeah!" Rory whispers back.

I hurry into her closet and Rory opens the door.

"Hi Lane!"

"Wow Rory. Youre voice seems to be back to normal." She says.

"Well i never heard a difference. Maybe it was the phone..?"

"Maybe.. so Y/n's not here yet?" Lane asks.

"Nope, just us."

I couldnt hold my laughter in anymore. I decide to creak the closet door open a little.

"Huh?!" Lane shouts.

"What?! Whats happened?" Rory exclaimed, checking around the room.

"Someones in that closet!" I could hear shifting.

I stay quiet until they decide to come over to investigate. As soon as the door opens jump out.

"Boo!" I shout looking at lane.

"AAAH AY!" Land shouts as she jumps back, into a fighting stance.

I start to laugh and Lane crosses her arms letting out a breathy laugh, still trying to catch her breath.

"Sorry Lane! I was just trying to mess with you." I smile whole heartedly.

"Oh my god! I cant believe i fell for such a stupid trick!" She face palms and cant help but smile.

I just chuckle and move closer to them.

"Nice to meet you Lane."

"Yeah, its nice to meet you too!" Lane replies reaching for my hand.

"Its a surprise i havent met you yet." I say shaking her hand.

"Nope not really. Ive been grounded for a while, yesterday was my last day."

"Oh wow.. you said you had to work too?"

"Yeah, with my mom cleaning off her antique stuff."

"Antique... stuff?" I ask.

"Yeah, my mom owns the antique store down the street from Luke's. You know Luke's right?"

"Yes, certainly do." I nod smiling.

"Well yeah. She owns that and we live there too."

"Oh! I think I've been in there before. And your mom kicked me out." I scratch the back of my neck in embarrassment.

"Not surprised. But wow. When did that happen?" Land replies and Rory chuckles.

"When I was exploring town for the first time." I laugh.

"Yikes, not very welcoming huh?"

"Well, I was trying to tell her that her entrance was totally blocked. And it was a hazard."

"She goes by 'her shop, her rules' believe me I've tried to give her advice. You think she'd listen because im her daughter, but I'd get kicked out too. Then, she would drag me back in because she doesnt trust me in the outside world.. yet!"

"Wow.. you get grounded a lot huh?" I ask, intrigued.

"Right on." "But hey! Right now we should be having fun getting to know eachother. Ive been talking about my mom for way too long, and this is my only escape time."

Rory and I share a chuckle.

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬