Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

I bite my tongue when I see that my battery has now dropped below 40%. I say a silent prayer in hopes that my battery will last me until we get back onto the S.H.I.E.L.D. spacecraft. My emergency battery only can last up to an hour of power depending on the circumstances. With this type of mission and a damaged wire, I cannot say how long the backup reserve will last.

We round the corner only to be met by a squadron of Black Order soldiers. I am quick to throw up my repulsors to eliminate the threats when they begin firing upon us. Natasha throws a handful of Widow's Bites to help lessen the crowd. Hawkeye fires a blast arrow towards the back of the hallway. A small explosion consumes the back end of the regiment thanks to his trick arrow. Captain America throws his shield to take down a line of troops; when he uses the magnetic retract feature of his shield, Cap ends up levelling another line of soldiers. Bullets from Bucky, Falcon, and Agent May's guns fly through the room. Thor puts his hammer to good use.

Tony curls up into a ball in Exoskeleton. War Machine moves a metal hand and grabs him. Rhodey pulls his arm back and throws Tony into the horde. My dad bowls into Black Order member after Black Order member, leaving them unconscious on the ground. When he reaches the end of the unit, he smirks to himself when he looks at the destruction he caused.

With the militia out of our way, the Avengers continue our way to the control wing of the Black Order's headquarters. Lucis tells me that it is just ahead. True to Lucis's words, a dark metallic mauve colored door appears at the end of the hallway. The team slows down to a stop when we reach the door. Lucis scans the door to confirm this is where we need to be.

"The door is reinforced with a-a type of quark electron. It may be a charm or top quark but I really can't tell by Lucis's diagnostics," Fitz updates us.

"So what are you saying? Because to me, it sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo," Sam responds.

"The door is designed to absorbed energy. Your repulsors, bullets, arrows, and whatever else you have won't even scratch the door," Doctor Banner informs us.

"You get back just in time to give us the bad news," Tony clicks his tongue, "Thanks for taking care of that."

"I'm just glad our hypothesis turned out to be true. Dying in space is not the way I want to go," Bruce says back, "Back to the door, to disable it you're going to either overload the material or find a way to open the door from-"

"It's open," Alex cuts in, "Wow, I never knew the ability to open doors was so needed."

Everyone hushes as they were not expecting it to be so simple. Captain America glances at us before nodding once and busting open the door. However, when he raises his foot to force open the door, an extremely loud clank is heard. Cap's foot misses the metal and instead floats above his head as Steve floats off of the ground. An embarrassing squawk escapes my lips as I find myself also hovering above the ground without the use of technology.

"Eep, it appears that the artificial gravity generator's controls have been impaired by the second shift of position. This w-will cause some malfunction," Fitz alerts the group of the cause for our sudden flight.

This puts me in a bit of a bind. Magnetar is equipped with anti-gravity boots which will enable me to function as if there is gravity. However, this will require a direct line of energy to be flowing to my damaged boot. But if I decide to accept zero-gravity and not activate the anti-gravity device, I would be forced to use my repulsors which will not continuously drain my battery; though, the bursts of the higher-concentrated energy will drain my battery just as much. In the end, I can control the amount of energy that I use when using my repulsors and that is the one edge that will determine my decision.