𝘝𝘐𝘝𝘈 𝘊𝘈𝘙𝘔𝘌𝘕

Start from the beginning

"Well, maybe you shouldn't have started hitting him, Maeve." Gina shakes her head.

Maeve finds herself in the bathroom, Sapphire stood by her side.

"The busted lip makes you look badass." Sapphire laughs, Maeve cant help but agree.

"I can't believe he actually went that far." Maeve shakes her head.

Sapphire rubs her shoulders gently, "He goes crazy when people talk about parents. You proper went for him though. Don't think i've even seen a fight quite like that before."

Maeve turns a smirks, "I did hit him quiet hard."

In the garden, Liam and Frank were playing football. Well, more so Liam was pelting the ball as hard as he could at Frank who stood in goal. Unsurprisingly, Frank kept moving out the way.

"What are you moving out the way for?" Liam asks agitated, "I'm not kicking too hard. It's your turn in goal, get back in."

"No."

"What do you want me to do? Roll it at you?" Liam raises his voice.

"Stop shouting!"

The angry boy signs, "Sorry, I just get wound up. East thinks parents are the answer to everybody's problems."

"She wasn't saying that." Frank is quick to defend.

"You still don't get it, do you?" Liam stills, "You and her have got a family. I've been in care homes all my life. This is it for me."

"You really pushed the mark today with bringing her dad into it." Frank states.

Liam kicks the ball again. "I know." He sighs, "I shouldn't have said what I said, but there's no way I'm apologising to her. That's not how we work."

"You really gonna hate her for the rest of your life?"

"Most likely."

Bowling. Every kid in care knows that bowling is just as way for the care workers to distract them from whatever's been happening.

It was almost as dreadful as staying at home. Maeve wishes she did. Her and Liam avoiding each other completely, Sapphire and Toby have been arguing, and everyone was still in a bad mood.

Everyone got sent straight to bed as soon as they reached the front porch.

The next morning at breakfast. The table was silent. Maeve was the last one down due to her sleeping in. However, when she sat down she noticed a bowl in front of her. More specifically, her special bowl, with the chip and the green line.

Plates and bowls were never set before. The children always had to get their own.

The confused girl looked up in front of her to where Liam was sitting. They made eye contact before the boy looked back down at his plate of toast.

"Everyone's in a bad mood." Gus stayed the obvious as he talked to Gina and Mike, "It's because of Carmen's mum, Maeve and Liam fighting, and Sapphire and Toby arguing."

Everyone quickly left the room as Mike made a sarcastic comment about how fun breakfast was.

Maeve was laying in Sapphires bed as the older girl dried her hair with a hair dryer. The girls hair was about 80% dry when the power in the whole building turned off.

"That's unfortunate." Maeve laughed as Sapphire threw a book at her.

Back downstairs, the whole house had gathered to complain about the power cut.

"Look, we need to go round the house and unplug everything and switch the lights off." Tracy begins instructing, "Because if we have a power surge, we don't want anything to get broken."

Reluctantly, the whole house began to unplug everything. It was a long drawling task.

With nothing else to do, it called for a barbecue and with the help of everyone working together, it was quickly assembled.

Maeve and Sapphire managed to pretend to be busy the whole time in order to avoid helping. It's what they do best.

The next day, it had come to the attention that Mike and Gina were in charge of the power cut, purposefully turning the power off in order to distract the kids from what had been happening.

If the adults had pranked the kids, it was time for the kids to prank the adults.

"Yes Elm tree house." Gus was on the other side of the line calling the "electricity man", who, in reality, was just Liam.

"Gina Conway, she works here." A pause, "Hello?" Gina's voice.

"Hello, I've been told you've experienced a power cut?" Liam talks done the phone.

"Well, erm, ye, we have had sort of a.. power cut."

"And a child called us about that?"

"Yes, I understand you don't expect to hear it from a child."

"Are you sure people haven't been messaging around with the electricity?"

"No, no-one has been messing around with it."

"Right, okay, we will send out investigation team to your location to come and have a look around."

"I-Investigation team?"

"Yes. If we find the culprit we will give them a fine."

"No, I don't think anyone should get fined."

Quickly after the phone call ended, the group of children hiding in the basement heard clattering as someone hastily ran down the stairs.

As soon as dark figures appeared in her view, Maeve flipped the power box switch and all the lights came back on revealing the group of children to the panicked adults.

"Is this what you're looking for?" Maeve faked innocence.

Liam smirks, "Cancel the investigation team, I think we found the problem." He speaks down the phone.

"Right, busted." Mike smiles, "But before you form a lunch mob, it wasn't our idea."

"Tracy." Maeve shook her head.

With protesting voices the group clambered back upstairs where Tracy was.

"Okay, easy guys." She begins to explain, "I only suggested for a few hours! They turned it into a whole day."

Carmen's mum turned out to be right horrible mum again. She was sent out the house and ripped apart by Tracy.

Maeve supposed Sapphire was right. Parents are all that.

1384 words