Chapter 3: Confession

The day Cale visited her for the first time was weeks ago by now. And ever since then, Cale would regularly come by to her office every few days. He never stayed for long, an hour would be the longest time.

During these visits, he never brought up any risky topic ever again. They would have tea together and talk about many things, starting from Empire matters like the recent treaty with another Kingdom to personal matters like how Cale's children were begging him to travel with them.

"Why don't you humor them? Raon can teleport and save a lot of time and effort anyway, right?"

She couldn't stop a giggle as she took in his appalled expression.

"Your Majesty," Cale put down his teacup, eyes wide tinged with fear, "once we go on one trip, the children will want more. We'll end up going around the world! And when that's not enough, they'll ask to use the divine item and go to different worlds! What about my farm?! My slacker life?!"

(Y/n) nearly snorted when Cale's expression turned horrified at the thought of losing his dearly beloved slacker life.

How adorable.

(Y/n) enjoyed these talks. She found herself beginning to open up to the red-haired noble and he did the same to her. She learned more about the normally stoic and level-headed ex-Commander, as he too learned more about her.

When the days began to blur together, she found herself looking forward to his visits.

She found herself feeling the same warmth and tranquility she always felt when she was with Alberu.

And that scared her more than anything else.

"Love, are you okay?"

(Y/n) gave the man in front of her a small smile.

"Of course."

Alberu frowned. (Y/n) had been very quiet for the past few days. He also noticed how she tried to avoid his eyes most of the time. He had an inkling as to why that might be, but it was still concerning to see her starting to lose appetite.

With a wave of his hand, the servants waiting on them in the greenhouse they were having their meal in left them.

The Emperor gently took his wife's hand on his own, his thumb rubbing her knuckles absentmindedly.

He noted how (y/n) never lifted her head up to look him in the eyes.

"(Y/n)."

It did the trick as her head immediately snapped up to look at him.

Alberu rarely called (y/n) by her name. He always used pet names, most of the time 'love'. It was a habit he'd had since their courting days; when Alberu was but a youth craving for love in the midst of his lonely days in the Palace. While he still occasionally called out her name, as he did love her name as much as he loved her, the amount of times had dropped low since the day they married a little less than a year ago.

And thus to hear Alberu calling her name in a serious tone like this ought to surprise her enough to make her abandon her attempt at avoidance.

Alberu's eyes softened when he took in the sight of her surprise (and was that worry?).

"(Y/n), love," he pressed a kiss to her knuckles, once again trying to pretend not to notice her flinching, "something is bothering you, isn't it? Won't you tell me? I'd like to help you."

(Y/n)'s throat tightened as she tried to futilely swallow back the heaviness that seemed to choke her, the dryness in her mouth preventing the action.

Alberu was... sweet.