tips in making story titles

thank you for 200k+ reads ♡

2023 updates <3

Making a title for my story is literally the hardest part for me. So here are ten title naming conventions you can use according to Michael Bjork. Check his Tiktok account: michael.bjork for more writing tips.

First, you can use the main character's name or nickname if it's interesting and unique. For example, Caroline, Odd Thomas, and Harry Potter.

Second, it can be a character description. You can describe who the character is or what they do. For example, A Wizard of Earthsea, and The Book Thief.

Third, it can be an important place in the story. For example, The City of Ember, The Ocean At The End of The Lane, and The Lost City of Atlantis.

Fourth, you can name your story after an important monster or creature in the story, such as Stephen King's IT, or Vampirates.

Fifth, your story can be tiltled after an important object in the story, such as The Hatchet that helps Brian survive in the wilderness story, or The Bell Jar, which becomes a metaphrorical presentation of Esther's struggle with her mental health.

Sixth, if there's an important event in the story, that could be the title. Such as in The Long Walk by Stephen King, where every year a bunch of boys get together and literally walk to death; or in the Fifth Season, where every so often there's this big cataclysmic event called the Fifth Season. Another example is Hunger Games.

Seventh, if your story revolves around a particular magic or power system, you can also use that in your title. Such as Mistborn, where the story revolves around a powerful magician that's called a Mistborn.  And you also have the Jumper, which is the term for people who can teleport.

Eighth, allusions to a relevant mythology or religion are also acceptable, such as in Octavia E. Butler's 'Parable of the Sower' and 'Parable of the Talents'.

Ninth, you can also use your title to highlight a thematic motif in your story, such as in Uprooted, where the main character is literally uprooted from her life to go serve a cruel magician and also to defend her town from a cursed forest.

Tenth, you can pull an important line directly from your story. Such as in The Remains of the Day, where the main character gradually realizes over time how much of his life has been misspent, but then realizes in the last pages that he must cherish what's left for his life, what he refers to as 'The Remains of the Day'.