"I do." She smiled, warmth filling Tsa'tvayi as she watched the expression change the usually stoic Tsahik's face. "Thank you, Tsa'tvayi"

Tsa'tvayi nodded silently as Tsahik dropped the shell back into her son's hand. "Prepare it for me." She instructed while leaning back into her old position. "For my headpiece."

She blinked back the shock as she registered the Tsahik's words, Ao'nung nudging her softly as he grinned so brightly that she wondered if his face ached.

"Did you get one for me?" He teased while turning back to the loom, where he began preparing it for a larger piece, Tsahik beginning to remove the large headpiece that she wore thought the day.

Tsa'tvayi allowed a grin to rise to her face as she reached for the shells and picked one up, this one in a spiral shape with small spikes that seemed to bend under the light. It was a salmon color with darker spots that Tsa'tvayi knew also glowed.

She'd stuck to a theme with the family's shells, all unique and able to give off their own light. It had taken her more hours than she was willing to admit to find them all, her eyes had begun to burn from the strain of keeping them wide open as she scoured the bottom of the ocean. She'd gone deeper than usual, too; past the reefs and far into the water where she knew anything could happen to her.

It was worth it, she decided, as she watched the shock spread across Ao'nung's face for the second time that night. The boy didn't speak for a while as he gazed down at the shell, wonder filling his face. Finally, he looked up, Tsa'tvayi falling wide open as tears welled in Ao'nung's eyes.

He reached over to her and pulled her close, his eyes wrapping around her in a right hug that left her flailing for a second, until she sunk into his embrace and returned it just as tightly. She could feel the Tsahik's gaze on them as Ao'nung's tears soaked the skin of her shoulder. Tsa'tvayi tucked her head into the nape of his neck, hear heart warm with the love she felt for the family.

"You are my sister,' he whispered horsely into her shoulder, Tsa'tvayi stiffening as his words reached her ears. "Understand, Tsa'tvayi? It is Tsireya, you, and I. You are my sister."

It felt like hours before they separated, neither of them speaking as the Tsahik passed her headpiece to Ao'nung and pressed a comforting hand over both of their heads, a warm smile on her face.

‿‿‿‿‿‿‿‿

THE SUN WARMED HER skin as she approached the Toruk Makto's pod. She could hear Tuk's giggles echoing inside as someone, Lo'ak presumably, let out a frustrated groan. Tsa'tvayi grinned as she heard the sounds of the family, happiness welling inside of her at the mere idea that they might have started feeling comfortable in Metkayina.

She reached the opening of the the pod and knocked on a wooden beam. Tsa'tvayi blinked rapidly as all of the members of the family snapped their attention to her, their bodies stiffening as Tuk tucked behind Neteyam. Tsa'tvayi could spot the moment the younger girl noticed her, her face brightening as she shot out from behind her brother.

"Tsa'tvayi!" She grinned, her arms wrapping around Tsa'tvayi's legs in an awkward hug. "I see yo," she greeted.

"I see you, Tuk." Tsa'tvayi returned before lifting her head and repeating the greeting to the amused family.

The younger girl tightened the arms she had wrapped around her leg before quickly releasing and taking a step back. "Have you eaten?" She bounced excitedly, "Dad caught fish."

From the corner of her eyes she could see Toruk Makto looking away, his eyes and tail flickering in embarrassment.

"That is amazing, Tuk." Tsa'tvayi smoothed hand over the girl's head. "But I do not eat in the morning."

Tuk frowned at her, Tsa'tvayi bending slightly until their eyes met, "Have you eaten?"

The girl paused for a moment and Tsa'tvayi could feel the question behind her gaze, but ignored it. Finally, she shook her head. "Not yet."

"Well," Tsa'tvayi grinned teasingly, "Go on. You must eat, the water will wash you away." She poked the younger girl's rib, a giggle startling out of her.

The younger girl ran off to where the family was meeting and tucked herself into her mother's eyes. Tsa'tvayi straightened up as she smiled at them, "I apologize for coming so early, but I wanted to see if any of you were interested in a bit of hunting before we start lessons again."

It was an odd request, that she could recognize, but she knew nobody else would offer. It wouldn't take long before the other members of the clan stopped allowing them the easy hunts as they had done that day, and Tsa'tvayi would hate to see them hungry because nobody was willing to teach them the way of the water.

She could see Toruk Makto and his mate exchanging glances before the woman gave a nod. "Why so early?" She questioned.

Tsa'tvayi tilted her head at the question, "There are less members in the water at this time. The fist will be easier to catch." Then, she smiled, "Do not tell anyone I told you that, they all simply believe me to be an amazing hunter."

The woman smiled back at her, the hardness on her face easing away slightly. Tsa'tvayi couldn't help but admire the older's drive to protect her family, even if she had not intention of hurting them. She threw her son's a glance and Tsa'tvayi watched as they nodded back to her.

"Would you be willing to wait a bit?" The older woman asked as she nodded at her sons, "Until they eat?"

"Of course."

Tsa'tvayi stumbled a step back as Tuk's small body ran into her once again. "I ate," she announced proudly. "Will we make the bracelets today? And ride an ilu?"

She was about to nod before she caught herself, her ears flicking back as she glanced up at the younger girl's family. "May I take Tuk out to ride later? We will not go too far."

Toruk Makto was the one to nod. "That's alright." He grinned down at his daughter before turning back to Tsa'tvayi. "Tuk tells us you are a very good teacher."

Tsa'tvayi could feel the rapid movements of her tail behind her which worsened her blush. She quickly looked down at a beaming Tuk and smiled back. "Tuk is a very good student. Other's do not learn as quickly."

"You hear that, Lo'ak," the girl laughed as she turned to her brother and stuck out her tongue. "You are skxawng."

Tsa'tvayi couldn't stop the laugh that escaped her as the boy choked on the bite of fish he had just taken, his eyes falling wide as he glanced between Tsa'tvayi and Tuk.

"Bro," he sighed as he gulped air, "You can't breathe underwater. That's not how it works."

"You are correct," she tilted her head, "But you are also not. It is not as much breathing as it is trusting the water to care for you and trusting your body to pull through."

Lo'ak blinked at her, his eyes wide. Waving it off, Tsa'tvayi glanced down at Tuk and winked. "See, you are just a very good student."

This time, the laugh came from Neteyam and Kiri as they poked at their brother. Tsa'tvayi glanced up and noted the small smile that graced their parent's faces and felt a small amount of satisfaction enveloping her.

"Alright," said Neteyam between laughs as he rose to his feet and pressed a hand to his brother's head. "Did you finish?"

Lo'ak nodded rapidly as he swallowed the mouthful of fish he had in his mouth before following suit and rising to his feet.

"We can go?" Lo'ak asked his parents, Neteyam besides him.

Toruk Makto nodded with a small smile. "You can go, bring back some fish."

The two boys raced past her and into the sand, their feet kicking it up as they ran. "Do not worry, Toruk Makto. I will take care of them."

Tsa'tvayi waved goodbye to Tuk as she followed after the boys, the smaller girl shouting out a loud goodbye.